Author Topic: "apply brakes now"  (Read 6485 times)

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
"apply brakes now"
« on: 28 July 2018, 22:08 »
I've been periodically getting this warning. Big red warning symbol along with warning sound - it's most disconcerting when driving!

After first couple of times I went into the dealer who found no issue with the brakes but blamed ACC. The warning continues an is never when there is any driving issue.

It's either the ACC or Front Assist being sparked by sometthing in front of the forward sensors so I dissable the ACC and Front Assist.

Trouble is disabling only lasts as long as the journey. Nxt time you start the ignition they are enabled again.

Is it possible to permenantly disable eg via OBD11?

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: "apply brakes now"
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2018, 22:13 »
Surely the better answer is to get the dealer to fix the issue? Or is the car out of warranty?
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2018, 22:37 »
dealer claimed it was a feature of ACC. Apparantly (I quote the technician) the sensors can pick up a newspaper or even a leaf blowing in front of the car and warn of an obsticle.

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2018, 07:51 »
I get it occasionally but always for an identifiable reason. Yours clearly has a fault so force the dealer to sort or try another dealer.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Ulysses31

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2018, 08:38 »
Mine always goes off in one very specific location but nowhere else. It is a local junction where the road bends to the right and "left" is actually straight on, which I take. The weirdest thing is that it goes off every time but absolutely nowhere else, and I've driven all the way down to Gibraltar. No longer makes me jump though, so I'll live with it.
White Golf GTI Mk7.5

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2018, 09:08 »
If you disable the safety feature on the car that reduces your insurance group then if you do have an accident and it comes to light the feature was disabled then your insurance would be invalidated. Are you going to ring your insurer and let them know you've permanently disabled acc front assist? Is it your driving style? Mine always seems to go off when people decide they need to virtually stop to turn left into roads and the car thinks I'm going to crash into the back of them.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2018, 09:18 »
It triggers when it detects a potential crash situation and the driver makes no inputs to correct...

It can be obviously triggered by a dodgy radar reflection, but usually its not the case.

Maybe you just have slow reaction times?

Has the big X woken you up or has it gone on to apply the brakes for you?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2018, 09:41 »
What is meant by 'periodically'? I've had the warning on the dash a couple of times in the 8 months i've had the car, both times in situations that were easily under control at lowish speeds. Quite disconcerting as you say, but if you feel things aren't all as they should be then i'd be taking it back to VW.

Doesn't seem a good idea to me to be intervening in a vehicles safety systems without the knowledge of the vehicle manufacturer or your insurer.
7.5 GTD

Offline John F

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2018, 15:38 »
Mine always goes off in one very specific location but nowhere else. It is a local junction where the road bends to the right and "left" is actually straight on, which I take. The weirdest thing is that it goes off every time but absolutely nowhere else, and I've driven all the way down to Gibraltar. No longer makes me jump though, so I'll live with it.

I had the exact same thing on the A4 I just handed back. Same place on route home where road goes right, and straight ahead is a side road lined with cars parked outside terraced houses. The A4 would ping at me just as I approached the bend, then the warning could cancel as I went right.

Worse still was a full emergency stop the A4 pulled on me as I passed a large coach parked in a layby. Again, the road was curving right, and I think the A4's AEB must have seen the coach, and kept on seeing it as I approached the layby and was gently curving right. The brakes came on, and I could do nothing to stop the car from stopping. The coach driver was stood infront of his coach in the layby and looked at me like I was some kind of idiot.

Thankfully, the lady behind me was far back and able to stop without crashing into me. Lord knows what she thought I was up to!

I took the car into Macclesfield Audi and they said there was a patch for the AEB's software, which they claimed they applied. It did not happen again, although it would still ping and even snatch at the brakes at odd times. There is a road in Congleton where the slope changes abruptly. In wet weather, the A4 would some times ping and briefly apply the brakes as I approached that change in slope, as if the AEB was seeing the road ahead and mistook it for a solid obstacle. However, as soon as the car reached the steeper part of the road, the alarm could cancel and the brakes release. This would likely only last half a second.

Offline Spud122

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2018, 17:22 »
Yep, mine has done it a few times also.
Generally when someone is turning left and I am going straight on and you can see nothing coming the other way so no you can happily go around, if you get to close it would apply brakes and/or light up the dash.
The system is unable to see and anticipate in the same we we can, it can't see the car is indicating and turning left.
I leave a bit more room now and turn slightly right earlier and all is well.

Stewart