Author Topic: Optimus Wol - mk2 16v  (Read 3334 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Optimus Wol - mk2 16v
« on: 30 July 2006, 10:55 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Optimus Wol

• GTI forum regular
  • Theres an evil monkey in my closet......
Re: Optimus Wol - mk2 16v
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2006, 20:42 »
Right, heres my start of a hopefully successful project!!  :grin:

picked it up the other week off a friend of a friend. never seen it around my area before and it was right under my nose all along!! as far as i could see there was no major dents and the body needed minor attention. i knew i wanted a full resto style project anyway, so this was the ideal base!! well, would you turn away a solid 16v mk2 for 700 notes??  :shocked: 

nor did i   :cool:

basically, here she is......

and other pics .......

bad point though........

headlining is hanging down, so im contemplating retrimming it with something different.... watch this space......

Offline Optimus Wol

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2006, 21:03 »
what i got done last saturday.........  :undecided:

not a lot. basically managed to get the back bumper off so i could get rid of that bloody tow bar, and also start looking for rust. which i found....

anyway, back to the bumper.

after soaking the bolts that held the bumper (and tow bar  :angry: ) with about 6 gallons of wd40 type stuff, they decided they was quite happy where they were, and wasnt moving for anybody. let alone me. so after some minor persuasion, the captive nuts decided to break away in the box section by the rear stuts. this is where the drill and hacksaw came in handy......

needless to say, they finally came out. after re-welding, more wd40 and a impact gun.

on all 4 might i add.....................    :sad:

Offline Optimus Wol

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2006, 23:04 »
right, next saturday.......................... more arse-ache when i finally got the bumper off.....

found a couple of places for me to brush up on my welding. firstly a huge patch on the rear panel behind the bumper, and a sh*te load in the boot. this is yet to put me off mind, merely the first hurdle. (second if you count the bumper incident..). anyway, i was expecting some rusty bits so i decided to crack on stripping the boot out. when i found this.....  :sick:

not impressed to say the least. never mind, it is a project after all. so, a couple of hours later, and hey presto!!

not bad if i do say so myself. just gotta patch the other side when i take the suspension leg off.
after a bit more grinding and such, i plated the load of holes i found in the rear panel....

and stuck some seam sealer on it to keep any more of that b*stard called rust away for as long as possible....

next week, hopefully get the plastics, and the front bumper off to find anymore of that horrible flaky brown stuff. fingers crossed I've seen the last of it...............................
« Last Edit: 08 August 2006, 23:09 by Optimus Wol »

Offline Optimus Wol

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2006, 16:28 »
ok, got the welder back out this weekend  :laugh:  decided to finish up on the rear strut by welding a plate on the other side to tidy it up a bit, and for that extra bit of strength. took bloody long enough mind  :grin:

heres my efforts all finished, and sealed up on the other side.........

and while i had the seam sealer in my hand....

just got another plate to do next week, then more rust hunting!!