Author Topic: dobby: project mk2 vr6 conversion... 90% done!  (Read 45476 times)

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
  • if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
dobby: project mk2 vr6 conversion... 90% done!
« on: 10 July 2011, 16:53 »
so at the end of may i drove down to nottingham to pick up my first ever golf, i have wanted a mk2 golf for years and i couldn't believe when i found a black 3 door with no rust, a fully recon gearbox and 10 months mot and 6 months tax!

on the way home one of the nylon clips on the gear linkage broke and i thought oh god here we go! but we ended up bodging the linkage together with 5 or 6 elastic bands and drove the remaining 120 miles with unable to get into 5th gear, but i was loving it nonetheless  :cool:

the oil cooler had given up the ghost so i replaced that along with a tsr performance gear linkage kit i purchased from the bay and also had to get a new tyre as one wasn't holding more than 14psi :lipsrsealed:

then about 2 weeks after i'd had her the engine made a funny rattling and i pulled off a slip road to see what it was... i didn't get a chance to pull over before it jolted and cut out. turns out a crank shaft bearing came loose and seized the whole engine :( so then i was stuck for what to do, do i recon the engine, get a second hand one and take a risk, or do i cut my losses and get another car  :undecided:

i quickly got rid of the idea of getting rid of the car cause she'd made such an impression during the journey home (even with 4 gears i couldn't wipe a smile off my face) then i thought if i get a second hand engine it could all happen again and could be a total waste of cash, so i bit the bullet and told the garage to strip it and send it off to be rebuilt.

that's where i am so far, i'm waiting to get it back atm, every single part in the engine has been replaced with new genuine parts shipped over from germany, so it's by no means a second rate job! it's been bored out to 1.9L and i'm also getting a new clutch fitted and all new belts, so it really will be like new! :D

in the last 5 weeks i've been acquiring parts so that when i get her back i get on with everything:

polished audi pepperpots with 5 stud adaptors (20mm spacing)
4 bridgestone potenza tyres 165 50 15 for a nice stretch :P
front splitter, as the current one has a chunk out of it
new undrilled airbox with pipercross panel filter
jom stainless strut brace
fk ak street coilovers
full stainless exhaust system (got from someone down the road breaking one the same as mine for £20!)
and hopefully should have a stainless manifold in the next couple of weeks to release a few more ponies :D

then i need to get the wiring for the headunit sorted, also get new leds in the dash clocks and get the mileage matched up and that'll be it for a while until i can afford a full respray (doubt that'll be before christmas)

so here's a couple of pics of the old gal i've named her dobby  :cool:

any feed back welcome! :D

« Last Edit: 23 September 2013, 19:41 by andynorfolk »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: andy's mk2 gti black 3 door 'dobby'
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2011, 17:10 »
Looking forward to seeing it with the mods.

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2011, 17:13 »
yeah man, can't wait to get working on it

it's all 100% original so it's a good base  :grin:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2011, 17:44 »
Riding high cowboy

needs some lows really bad, otherwise nice find  :smiley:

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2011, 17:58 »
coilovers should be delivered tomorrow  :laugh:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2011, 12:51 »
coilovers should be delivered tomorrow  :laugh:

Nice one, what a great looking project.  Always great to see early small bumper mk2's   :cool:

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2011, 13:35 »
Nice one, what a great looking project.  Always great to see early small bumper mk2's   :cool:

thanks man!  :grin:

i looked at both big and small bumper ones but i decided i much prefer the retro look of the small bumper  :cool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2011, 13:40 »

thanks man!  :grin:

i looked at both big and small bumper ones but i decided i much prefer the retro look of the small bumper  :cool:

Old skool all the way! :afro:  You going to take it to Whitenoise then?

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2011, 13:58 »
i keep thinking about it, but im the only one of my mates who has any class (they all have saxos and corsas)  :sick:

when is it?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2011, 14:21 »
i keep thinking about it, but im the only one of my mates who has any class (they all have saxos and corsas)  :sick:

when is it?

There's a link in my sig... check it out, there's a couple from this site going including me  and they are from down your way.