Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245329 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #380 on: 12 March 2019, 15:27 »
You seem to be ignoring the facts that the £2k difference is made up of better brakes, lightweight wheels, more power (which DOES make it quicker), upgraded interior, black mirror caps, a different body kit etc. I have no idea what VR is? If you tried to build a base TCR from a GTI Performance it would cost more than £2k. End of.
I'm not ignoring anything.

- Vented Discs, nothing else on the brakes, same callipers, same mechanics.
- 18's on the TCR v the 18" Parkers you only save circa 8kg in total weight. Put the 19's on both (or just on the TCR) and that difference shrinks even more.
- 45ps more, no torque increase.
- There's no 'upgraded' interior, it's the same as the normal GTI, apart form the seat material, hardly an upgrade.
- Black caps mirror caps - £100 off the shelf.
- Different bumper shape, different diffuser and sills and some TCR stickers.

You think that's worth a minimum £2k difference before you've added 19" wheels?

This isn't a CS40/CSS, there's nothing significantly different about it, the TCR issues like a cynical 'run-out' branding exercise.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2019, 16:06 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #381 on: 12 March 2019, 15:31 »
You are hilarious  :rolleyes:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #382 on: 12 March 2019, 16:01 »
You are hilarious  :rolleyes:
Why, because I don't agree and subscribe to your "end of" opinion? Last time I checked this was a public forum, where one can express an opinion even if it's different. Just because you don't agree doesn't make you right, or more wrong or the other way around.

It was only the other week you condescendingly thought I was "funny" for having my tyre replaced rather than have it repaired, telling me in no uncertain terms after I'd had it replaced that "A good repair will have no issues, especially not on a car like the Golf". My car, my money, my choice, doesn't make me wrong, and it certainly doesn't make you right, regardless of what you think.

There appears to be one or two more 'established' people on here who think their opinion is engraved in stone and gospel, and have been quite rude/condescending to people (particularly some newbies). Back to reality, we drive all-purpose Golf's, not bespoke sports cars, so your scoffing at leather seats is the 'hilarious' thing, to say the least, behaving like the Golf is some sort of super-duper track car that can only have 'sporty' things on it regardless of one's own personal circumstances/needs/preferences.

Jim, don't be like them, I always thought you were one of the more helpful/respectful ones.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #383 on: 12 March 2019, 16:15 »
I do try to be helpful. As it's a forum, it's easy for the point to be missed. Apologies for the hilarious comment.

Personally, I wouldn't get a TCR so getting into a discussion wasn't really my idea. But the facts remain, I think, when compared base vs base, the TCR seems like decent value as the brakes are from a Clubsport S, it has more power and is quicker, the interior whether you like it or not is a higher spec than the tartan cloth as its includes the door cards and 12 o'clock marker, the outside consists of a lower side sills, deeper front and rear spoiler and the car sits lower. As I said, you couldn't build you own for £2k more than a Performance model with aftermarket parts. As we've seen, the rear lip spoiler will be over £250 to buy!

Yes it's not limited and when you spec it to £41k, it probably makes no sense what so ever. My GTI is bog standard and its such a fantastic car out of the box that I just wouldn't option one up if I was buying with my own cash. But as you rightly point out, you can do what you want with your money and everyone is different.

Re the tyre - I would never bin a new tyre if it can be repaired, and I don't even pay for my tyres. It's just how I am. Its a Yorkshire thing.  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #384 on: 12 March 2019, 17:28 »
For what it’s worth (not much!) my opinion on the GTI specials VW churn out occasionally (ed30, Pirelli, Ed35, Ed40, TCR) is that they offer decent value when you look at the parts (uprated engine internals alone give greater tuning potential as far as some enthusiasts are concerned or the comfort of more power out of a standard engine sans remap and warranty implications for others, I’ve been in both camps).

They’re priced just, and only just, short of an R model.

They might not be strictly limited edition models but they’re limited production and of limited appeal until they become a few years old and into the enthusiast market.
They offer unique features over a standard GTI and are aimed at a very limited clientele.

The Ed30 sold like hot cakes due to its tunability and the popularity of hot hatches at the time.
The Pirelli was almost invisible, poorly marketed and a second hand bargain in 2009 when dealers pre-registered the unsold stock.
The Ed35 was totally invisible, the Ed40 largely ignored until dealers pre registered remaining stock, the TCR likely to follow in those shoes.
People find these models interesting but few bother buying them.

Good value over a GTI if the extra bits are important to you, poor value next to an R if overall competence or discretion is important.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #385 on: 12 March 2019, 17:51 »
Jeez, wasn't that long ago we were baulking at a £30k Golf, now £40k seems to be quite normal...

Wonder in 3-4 years what a MK8 GTI / R will cost with a basic set of options - £45-48k ?

I reckon likely the RRP base price will be just sub 40k to avoid the VED penalty... but definitely nudging 40k. Add some paint and a random couple of options and yes 45k.

There are going to be some new sexy tech options on the Mk8, none of which will come in cheap. New active DCC, the panoramic MIB, possibly the next level of driver automation too... that lot alone will add probably 5k+

What did a base Mk5 or Mk6 GTI cost?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #386 on: 12 March 2019, 18:45 »
Suppose the problem is that the Mk7/7.5 is so good. There’s a performance golf for all tastes, each with different qualities, price points and target drivers.

I would have been just as happy in a pp gti as a TCR as an R. In fact, if I hadn’t previously had a Mk7 pp gti I would have bought another this time. The tcr will be a stunning car and probably a bit more driver focused. The premium over the pp will probably be returned in residuals. Think that people are right that it’ll be hanging around dealer forecourts as the average car buying won’t know why you pay the premium or care. Perhaps even the styling will be too much for them. For the enthusiast it’ll be worth every penny.

A car purchase never makes sense.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #387 on: 13 March 2019, 18:15 »
Very interesting Exonian, I wonder if the TCR will be a repeat of the Pirelli?

I am amazed at the discounts VW are offering at this early stage.

I am sorely tempted to exchange my CS as there are some really nice features on the 7.5 compared with the 7 and I prefer the look of the TCR compared to the CS - a little more discreet than the CS as long as the graphics aren’t specced.

Also as much as I love the buckets in the CS they are a PITA with a 3 door and I would like a red car too.

Any thoughts on residuals CS vs TCR? What is the residual difference between the ED30 and the Pirelli over the years (say after 4 to 5 years), as that is probably the closest comparison?
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #388 on: 14 March 2019, 09:37 »
My local dealer isn't getting a TCR until June apparently.  If I was to order now it would be build week 38, so I guess delivery would be pretty late this year.  So waiting until I can see it in the flesh in June, by the time its delivered I may as well wait a few weeks longer and target the plate change next March.  :shocked:
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #389 on: 14 March 2019, 10:02 »
My local dealer isn't getting a TCR until June apparently.  If I was to order now it would be build week 38, so I guess delivery would be pretty late this year.  So waiting until I can see it in the flesh in June, by the time its delivered I may as well wait a few weeks longer and target the plate change next March.  :shocked:

If the mk8 is officially unveiled to the public at the Frankfurt motor show in September as has been suggested in the motoring press, VW are likely to re-tool the factory for mk8 production in Q3 this year (if not sooner). Calendar week 38 is w/c 16/09/2019, which coincides with the Frankfurt motor show, so I’d be very surprised if VW are still building the mk7 Golf in September; AFAIK they’ve never built the the new and old models side by side - once they start building the mk8 Golf, mk7 production will have ceased.

Worth checking with your dealer on when VW are likely to stop taking orders for the mk7. If, as has been suggested on this forum, the TCR may be a slow seller, there’ll no doubt be unregistered or pre-registered examples withi the dealer network after the mk8 has been launched. But if you want a TCR built to your spec, then you may need to get your order in now.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl