Author Topic: Bought my first mk4 golf  (Read 54367 times)

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
Re: Bought my first mk4 golf
« Reply #90 on: 20 April 2016, 18:05 »
Well done nearly 100 miles in it without any issues :) is still not great at starting first time so will look into that but is making it from A-B now. Not getting great MPG and the needle is still stuck on 1/2 a tank even after all that driving. Used VCDS to check cluster and the fuel gauge needle is working as it should so its not that which is something, while at it I decided to turn on auto lock/unlock and 'Chirp' on lock which was successful. Is the fuel pump used in other diesels or just the ARL, there are 2 diesels at the scrap so thought I might be able to get one cheap to test it. The locking issue has corrected itself so now all doors unlock fine on second press of fob. There is a rattle from the passenger door and no audio from front speakers so something to look into in the future but not anything I will worry about right now, think the rattle is probably the speaker not being attached as window works fine as does the lock so cant think what else is in there.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #91 on: 20 April 2016, 22:17 »
Fuel pump is on the side of the engine. Otherside to the camsprocket.
Lift pump in the tank.
Its probally thw lift pump not very good. Hence start up not good. But should have Fuel up there so maybe an issue with fuel running back.

Qny excess smoke on start up.
1St start up only. Couldbe glow plugs. Good to hear its behaving though

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #92 on: 20 April 2016, 22:22 »
Fuel pump is on the side of the engine. Otherside to the camsprocket.
Lift pump in the tank.
Its probally thw lift pump not very good. Hence start up not good. But should have Fuel up there so maybe an issue with fuel running back.

Qny excess smoke on start up.
1St start up only. Couldbe glow plugs. Good to hear its behaving though

Yeh a big puff of smoke on first start I think. Had new glow plugs so shouldnt be that. I think the PD150 only has the 1 fuel pump under the back seat, sure I read that somewhere

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #93 on: 21 April 2016, 09:27 »
If your injectors are under the rocker cover. Which if its a pd they will be. Theres a pump on side of the head. Doesnt look like a pump but it is. Haha
What colour smoke.
My a4 loves to wind over and not start for ages. Thats got a couple of piston rings need doing. That puffs blacky blue when it starts.

Could be the glow plugs not actually working but thatll only change when ita warmer in the morning. I think (cant remeber) that after 2 degrees the glow plugs dont do anything. You can test them on a bench with a battery but that wont tell you if the relay for them is working I suppose

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #94 on: 21 April 2016, 14:12 »
Whip off the rocker cover and inspect the cams for wear

Poor first start could also be down to a low battery

Sender in the fuel tank will be your dodgy gauge

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #95 on: 21 April 2016, 17:29 »
The smoke is white. If you have your foot on the accelerator its starts first time, so not sure what it is.
Cams look like they are starting to wear but nothing serious.....yet. they are on my to do list when funds allow.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #96 on: 21 April 2016, 18:28 »
Hmmm. Losing any water

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #97 on: 21 April 2016, 20:51 »
Hmmm. Losing any water

no not anything noticable

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #98 on: 21 April 2016, 23:07 »
If you preheat twice does it make it start better.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #99 on: 22 April 2016, 10:43 »
If you preheat twice does it make it start better.

nope, only thing that makes a difference is if I have my foot on the accelerator it starts, but doesn't rev instantly there is a delay of a few seconds after starting before it starts to rev, which is odd.