Author Topic: Quick question regarding HDR and taking the shots  (Read 4767 times)

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
Quick question regarding HDR and taking the shots
« on: 22 April 2009, 20:07 »
Most cameras have the 3 shot exposure option.  The Sony will take three shots, one at 0, one at -0.7 and one at +0.7.  The problem is that these aren't big enough differences to get effective HDR material.  A friend suggested the easiest way is to take a few shots, and change the shutter speed for each.

Does anyone have a better solution?  Change shutter speeds, or change F setting for each one?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Quick question regarding HDR and taking the shots
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2009, 20:29 »
Is there no way of changing it from .7 of a stop?

If not then shoot one shot in RAW and then over expose one, under expose one and average expose one in photoshop and HDR it from those.

nick

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2009, 20:32 »
Well I could take three shots myself one after another, changing the settings between each.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2009, 20:34 »
Problem is if anything moves in between the shots. Bracketing means you fire off the shots inb very quick succession. One shot in RAW and then converting also eliminates this problem.

If you want though the best way to do it would be to shoot, drop the speed 2 stops, shoot drop the speed two more stops, shoot again.

Nick

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2009, 21:37 »
i use -2 0 +2 and just use differnt layers PS and mask out bits from differnt layers to give the desired look

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2009, 22:02 »
i use -2 0 +2 and just use differnt layers PS and mask out bits from differnt layers to give the desired look
What about the camera moving as you change exposure?

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2009, 22:17 »
What about the camera moving as you change exposure?

best thing to do is set up on a tripod and have set the exposure's, use a remote shutter release this then prevents any camera shake and along with the tripod you will have the 3 shots you need :) ill try and do an example if that helps as im goign through soem of the jag photos and they need a little tweak with it  :smiley:

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2009, 22:22 »
Set the exposures?  On mine I'd have to take the shot, change exposure, take shot, repeat.

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2009, 22:27 »
Set the exposures?  On mine I'd have to take the shot, change exposure, take shot, repeat.

ahhh on my canon you can set it so it take 3 in a row with the different settings, as long as its on a tripod and your light handed when settign the next exposure i dont think you will have to much trouble mate  :wink:

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2009, 22:32 »
I need a better tripod for sure, mine wobbles a hell of a lot, not sturdy at all.

Could I try using a remote and manually choosing shutter times?