Author Topic: Parker Alloys issue?  (Read 11185 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Parker Alloys issue?
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2018, 16:06 »
Will that polish off? Might be worth having a go by hand
It will not. Tried with clean microfibre cloth

I don’t think just a microfibre cloth will do it. You’ll need to use a polishing compound on the microfibre to increase the chances of removing it.

I would try something like T-cut? See if you can gently take the discolour off? Then use some C5 to protect.

I wouldn’t use T-cut; I think it would have too much ‘cut’ so there’s a chance it would leave the diamond cut surfaces with a dull appearance. I’d always recommend starting off with a mild cutting/finishing polish on a foam applicator pad and if that doesn’t correct it, move up to a medium cut polish. Always apply gently, as polishing compounds are abrasive, so being too enthusiastic could increase the risk of striking through the lacquer!

@Aparat; if you know anyone nearby with a machine polisher and a range of different polishing compounds they could you could try, I’d say there’s a good chance they could restore your wheels back to a blemish free condition (this assumes the etching is on the surface of the clear coat and not underneath it!). If not, you could try something like Megiiars Scratch X on a foam applicator pad. It looks as if it’s suitable for removing light scratches, blemishes and oxidation from paintwork, so should there’s a good chance it’ll remove what looks like light etching in the clear coat on your wheels.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/meguiars-scratch-x-v2

I’ve not used this product before so can’t vouch for how effective it might be but it’s worth a try without spending too much on products. I’d recommend using a foam applicator pad and dampening it dampening it with a little water before gently applying the polishing compound. Buff off with a soft microfibre cloth and then apply a couple of coats of sealant or wax.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2018, 18:29 »
I wouldn’t use t-cut. My advice would be to use some AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, which has a very mild cutting abrasive in it.

Work a bit in using a fresh dark coloured applicator and then see what (if anything) comes off. Repeat with pressure in a small place until you see any change.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2018, 21:52 »
Try white spirit or petrol, that should do it.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2018, 22:22 »
Will that polish off? Might be worth having a go by hand
It will not. Tried with clean microfibre cloth

I don’t think just a microfibre cloth will do it. You’ll need to use a polishing compound on the microfibre to increase the chances of removing it.

I would try something like T-cut? See if you can gently take the discolour off? Then use some C5 to protect.

I wouldn’t use T-cut; I think it would have too much ‘cut’ so there’s a chance it would leave the diamond cut surfaces with a dull appearance. I’d always recommend starting off with a mild cutting/finishing polish on a foam applicator pad and if that doesn’t correct it, move up to a medium cut polish. Always apply gently, as polishing compounds are abrasive, so being too enthusiastic could increase the risk of striking through the lacquer!

@Aparat; if you know anyone nearby with a machine polisher and a range of different polishing compounds they could you could try, I’d say there’s a good chance they could restore your wheels back to a blemish free condition (this assumes the etching is on the surface of the clear coat and not underneath it!). If not, you could try something like Megiiars Scratch X on a foam applicator pad. It looks as if it’s suitable for removing light scratches, blemishes and oxidation from paintwork, so should there’s a good chance it’ll remove what looks like light etching in the clear coat on your wheels.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/meguiars-scratch-x-v2

I’ve not used this product before so can’t vouch for how effective it might be but it’s worth a try without spending too much on products. I’d recommend using a foam applicator pad and dampening it dampening it with a little water before gently applying the polishing compound. Buff off with a soft microfibre cloth and then apply a couple of coats of sealant or wax.
I can vouch for scratch x but not sure it's the right product to remove that mess.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2018, 22:41 »
I have a bottle of Super resin polish so will give that a go at first, then I'll try other suggestions. Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Will report back, when and if I'll get that sorted. Merry Christmas  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 24 December 2018, 22:48 by Aparat »

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2018, 22:53 »
Fingers crossed.  :smiley:
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2018, 23:08 »
I have a bottle of Super resin polish so will give that a go at first, then I'll try other suggestions. Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Will report back, when and if I'll get that sorted. Merry Christmas  :smiley:

Hopefully you've been a good boy this year and santa will bring you some joy  :smiley:

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 25 December 2018, 07:58 »
You could try a micro fibre and spray some wd40 on it, if nothing works and the finish is pitted again you could try small amounts of varnish or car lacquer but dont use a brush, apply a small amount on a piece of kitchen roll in dry and worth, that will give you a very smooth finish. Best to try on a very small area first.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 25 December 2018, 18:00 »
Definitely look likes you've let the wheel cleaner dry too much. Assume they were fine when you got the car?

I use Valetpro Bilberry wheel cleaner and most weeks Bilt Hamber Autowheel (iron remover) which is very easy. 

Get some polish on (super resin should be fine) and a suitable applicator.

If not, might need a once over with a machine polisher.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 25 December 2018, 20:34 »
Definitely look likes you've let the wheel cleaner dry too much. Assume they were fine when you got the car?

I use Valetpro Bilberry wheel cleaner and most weeks Bilt Hamber Autowheel (iron remover) which is very easy. 

Get some polish on (super resin should be fine) and a suitable applicator.

If not, might need a once over with a machine polisher.
What do you mean by suitable applicator? something like foam sponge applicator?

I think they were fine because I looked for any scratches etc before I paid so most likely I would spot them but saying that under different lighting its almost unnoticeable, and I'm thinking now last wheel I cleaned should be fine then because cleaner hasn't been left for that long at all because I rinsed it quick quickly when I was done with last wheel but who know, damage is done and too late to blame anyone.

My car being white, and I can see rust spots already  :laugh:, and living  in high rise block without good spot where I can take my car and properly clean it for few hours, it has been decided that car will be taken to detailer for some proper decontamination wash and all that and protection so at the same time they will be able to, look at wheels and if anything,  to refurbish them I suppose.

So next question will be -- Can anyone recommend someone good around Halifax/Huddersfield. Probably it will be done after winter, or sooner hopefully  if finances allow.
Thanks  :smiley: