Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 120967 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #380 on: 02 July 2016, 15:26 »
If they are near the limit but not on or over then just drive carefully for the remaining time. Going to save you a few quid especially if it's going back.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #381 on: 02 July 2016, 22:38 »
My PCP end soon (1.5month from now) my front tyres are getting close to the legal limit. Question is do I try and pick up some new cheap non branded tyres for a month or do I try and by some part worns which normally would be a no no but it would save me a fair wedge. Unless someone knows where I can grab some new ones cheap.

What size wheels do you have? Not 19" by any chance are they?

18s
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #382 on: 02 July 2016, 22:41 »
If they are near the limit but not on or over then just drive carefully for the remaining time. Going to save you a few quid especially if it's going back.

I have about 1mm left.

Now to make things worse rear right has a puncture. Can't make this up. Been quoted 45 on non-branded or between 25-35 for used but they are not all the same brand. Toss for it might have to.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #383 on: 02 July 2016, 22:59 »

I have about 1mm left.

Now to make things worse rear right has a puncture. Can't make this up. Been quoted 45 on non-branded or between 25-35 for used but they are not all the same brand. Toss for it might have to.

1mm over the markers I hope (2.6mm overall)! With a PCP coming to an end, what are your intentions? Get another VW or pay the lumper to buy it and you'll be getting continued use from your new tyres (that new VW replacement will take 3-5 months to come).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #384 on: 03 July 2016, 01:13 »
Yep 2.6mm overall that's what VW said when it was in last week for service. Due to -ve equity (price drops and px being offered) I'm going to voluntarily end the finance with VW just before cut off (20 August).

My new R arrives end of sept early October (fingers crossed). It's why I'm not wanting to pay for a good set of tyres when I won't get to use them.

Offline caprigreen

• Here all the time
« Reply #385 on: 03 July 2016, 08:58 »
Can't put a price on safety . There has been lots of debate and people referring to bridgestones as tombstones suggesting concern over safety . So buy a good set of tyres and drive safely . That's the advice from captain sensible ... Cornwall  :smiley:
64 plate VW Golf GTI PP Pure white
1991 VW Golf GTI 8v Silver, 30k miles

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #386 on: 03 July 2016, 10:35 »
Yep 2.6mm overall that's what VW said when it was in last week for service. Due to -ve equity (price drops and px being offered) I'm going to voluntarily end the finance with VW just before cut off (20 August).

My new R arrives end of sept early October (fingers crossed). It's why I'm not wanting to pay for a good set of tyres when I won't get to use them.

Are you getting the R with 18" wheels? If you are then get two of the best tyres of your choice and keep the ones you take off to put back on the car before your R comes. That way you will have the tyres you buy now for the R

Offline Blades72

• Not said much yet
« Reply #387 on: 11 October 2016, 14:14 »
Just had 4 Pilot sports 4's fitted and what a marked difference from my Bridgestones. Been chucking it down all day and I've not had any tramping even when flooring it. Nice not to have the traction light come on when pulling away in the wet. The ride also feels better, noise level sounds roughly the same at the minute so will be interesting to see if it improves over time. After reading some horror stories I had reservations about taking it to my local tyre centre (Kwik-Fit) but they couldn't of done more to look after my alloys. Even put a new head on their machine before putting my alloys on. Took photos beforehand just in case but they were put back on without a mark on them (spoke to the fitter first and fortunately he seemed the most experienced there, was worried the 16yr old was going to do them). Early signs are that the pilots are a great tyre, but compared to the Bridgestones I think anything would be an improvement.
Gone :Mk7 GTI with Performance Pack, Pure White, Dynaudio & Extended Warranty.
Arrived: Mk7.5 PP DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #388 on: 11 October 2016, 15:32 »
Just had 4 Pilot sports 4's fitted and what a marked difference from my Bridgestones. Been chucking it down all day and I've not had any tramping even when flooring it. Nice not to have the traction light come on when pulling away in the wet. The ride also feels better, noise level sounds roughly the same at the minute so will be interesting to see if it improves over time. After reading some horror stories I had reservations about taking it to my local tyre centre (Kwik-Fit) but they couldn't of done more to look after my alloys. Even put a new head on their machine before putting my alloys on. Took photos beforehand just in case but they were put back on without a mark on them (spoke to the fitter first and fortunately he seemed the most experienced there, was worried the 16yr old was going to do them). Early signs are that the pilots are a great tyre, but compared to the Bridgestones I think anything would be an improvement.

I've been in there (albeit around 8 years ago) and they were absolutely spot on then.

I started using them after my local Vauxhall dealer (I had an Astra VXR with the optional 19" wheels at the time) mullered one of my alloys and then took the other one to kwik fit to get the tyre changed. They omitted to mention the damage to the first one and when I first hand washed it afterwards (around a week later) spotted their error and went back in. The fast fit manager denied all responsibility until I asked to see the dealer principal and suddenly he was ordering a new wheel for me to come back and have fitted (at kwik fit funnily enough).
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #389 on: 10 August 2019, 14:00 »
Evo October 2019 (golf gti used)

1. Pirelli P Zero
3. Michelin Pilot Sport 4
3. Conti Premium contact 6
« Last Edit: 10 August 2019, 14:05 by david25 »
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black