Author Topic: Removing a light plastic graze from paintwork  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
Removing a light plastic graze from paintwork
« on: 09 August 2019, 15:32 »
Hey guys,

so i noticed i have a small line on the back of my bumper, looks like something plastic has rubbed against it.

I tried to just wash off with the pressure washer and then a sponge but to no avail.

It doesnt feel like its scratched or gone deep, so i was wondering what to try next? Clay bar maybe? or some kind of removal spray (ive seen people use WD40)

Any ideas much appreciated :(
« Last Edit: 09 August 2019, 15:42 by Phuture »

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Removing a light plastic graze from paintwork
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2019, 15:56 »
Try some Autoglym Super Resin Polish. That has a very mild 'cutting' agent in it that, with enough pressure, gets rid of surface marks/contaminants.

If you've not got any, pop up and you're more than welcome to use mine. :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2019, 16:12 »
Hey guys,

so i noticed i have a small line on the back of my bumper, looks like something plastic has rubbed against it.

I tried to just wash off with the pressure washer and then a sponge but to no avail.

It doesnt feel like its scratched or gone deep, so i was wondering what to try next? Clay bar maybe? or some kind of removal spray (ive seen people use WD40)

Any ideas much appreciated :(

Either new or its lived a very sheltered life but my R has been a dent and scratch magnet since got it, seems everyone wants a piece of it and actually gave up trying to keep on top of all its little nicks and scratches and intend to now just give it a good DA polish just before give it back - The advice is spot on, I use Meguiars polish, there is a normal and a fine version depending on the scratch and it will definitely buff out.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2019, 16:18 »
Nice one guys :)

Ive yet to actually polish the old (or young) girl yet, have just cleaned with bilt hamber snow foam and some dodo juice shampoo.

Do you think its worth actually buying a bottle of this and doing the whole car? or am i better off getting a coat of wax or some sort of ceramic on it?

Sorry i know im taking it off topic a little

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2019, 16:36 »
Nice one guys :)

Ive yet to actually polish the old (or young) girl yet, have just cleaned with bilt hamber snow foam and some dodo juice shampoo.

Do you think its worth actually buying a bottle of this and doing the whole car? or am i better off getting a coat of wax or some sort of ceramic on it?

Sorry i know im taking it off topic a little

There is a ton of information from the more committed board members on here from general cleaning advice through to extreme detailing, - I have full admiration for their skill and patience, https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=56.0

I do all the basics correctly, 2 buckets and then polish and wax with and with out a DA buffer and then do a collonite wax - my changeover is in a couple of months so will do all of this and seal for winter and unlikely do more than jet wash it due to filthy roads making it mainly pointless
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2019, 18:25 »
As long as it’s not fresh un-cured paint then just give a wipe with some nail varnish remover, if that doesn’t work then use standard thinners( don’t soak the applicator towel, just a light spritz of both),
If that doesn’t remove it then it will need polishing..

Neither will harm factory original paintwork as long as the paint is cool and not in direct sunlight..
« Last Edit: 10 August 2019, 09:01 by GS WAX »
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2019, 08:39 »
+1 for Autoglym SRP.  It will cut the paintwork in the same way as T-Cut if too much pressure / energy is applied so take care.

With Hertsman on the day to day bit.  Two weeks in and the car already has her first supermarket car park mark despite my habit of parking pretty much in total isolation and walking through the rain.  Have tried suggesting that, as well as parent and child spaces, they should have "Love your car? Park here" type stuff with enormo yellow hatching around them but even if they did I'm sure that someone would still manage to put their <insert small pseudo 4x4 here> within an inch of my drivers door.

Seems that cars are now consumables like mobiles / tablets etc. for many people so the care we take appears odd and bordering on OCD to most.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2019, 08:41 by Philip »
TCR 3 door

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2019, 09:13 »
Before you go mad with it, there's a simple check that will tell you if it's "polishable".

Drag a fingernail across the scratch - if you can feel it catch, you're (probably) through the lacquer to the colour.

Also, if the Autoglym SRP doesn't shift it, get hold of some G3 cutting compound and (carefully) do the same with that. As you use it, the compound gets dryer and seems to cut more. This should get rid of it in no time, just go steady with it.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2019, 21:25 »
I had a pretty bad scratch on my door from a falling tree branch - a bus I was following hit it and it caught me as it was landing on the ground - and I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound, it's still there but it did an awesome job of making it hardly noticeable.

£9.99 on Amazon I think.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2019, 11:29 »
I scratched/cuffed the laquer on my GTI PP's bumper when putting a large box in the boot.  It was really noticable.  However I used the G3 compound which came in a tube, cannot think of the exact name.  But it really worked a treat and after a lot of effort and care while rubbing the compound in gentle over time, the scuff/scratch had completely disappeared and paint work appears as if new again.