Author Topic: golf gti 1.8T AGU fault  (Read 2867 times)

Offline cp121

• Just got here
golf gti 1.8T AGU fault
« on: 05 January 2017, 18:22 »
Hi I've just joined this forum it seems great so far,

Unfortunately I'm starting off with a question for all you more experienced owners. I have a fault with my 2001 vw golf 1.8t turbo agu model.

Few weeks back my trusty steed did not start, borrowed friends diagnosis air maf sensor was shower a fault which is common I've read. replaced with brand new bosch unit. Car starts all fine and well now. A further fault code showed temperature sensor so I replaced.

The car had started to judder when warm, runs fine when cold. When warm under full load it judders badly miss fire like. Runs ok at little throttle. All coils seem to be working no misfire when ticking over sounds as it always has. when rev it heavily stationary fine also only when under load started and warm. I replaced all spark plugs made no difference my understanding with coils is when they go they go so I'm reluctant to change them at this stage.

so far I've replaced
air maf
temp sensor
fuel filter
spark plugs

What's next ignition amplifier?  I feel the fault is temperature related incorrect fuel air mixture ? Please any suggestions I'm not that ecpierenced with cars Im a motorcycle racer only picked what I know from racing road bikes

Thanks
Callum

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
Re: golf gti 1.8T AGU fault
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2017, 18:53 »
I'd still suggest coil packs - they're a common problem and I had one go, albeit on an AUM, recently and it only misfired under reasonable amounts of throttle. Steady away and idling it ran fine.

Have you stuck the fault code reader back on since the misfire? Would expect it to throw a code and point you at the fault cylinder(s)?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2017, 19:06 »
Also with the agu the ignition amplifier isnt built into the coilpacks its on the side of the airbox. So if you can borrow one of someone to try it would rule that out. As the warmer it gets the more a problem would arrise

Offline cp121

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2017, 20:54 »
Really grateful for the replies folks appreciated. I contemplating just biting the bullet and buying all 4 coils, fault is consistent when cold runs ok once gets up to a little temperature feels like over fueling. The diagnosis I used was a cheaper diy  one if you like not sure on make just followed the instructions. Has anyone had an ignition amp go or heard off ? I looked at a diagram how it all works the firing process and basically feel as if I'm following each sensor back from the spark plug. I have tested each coil with a volt metre seems find but understand they may not seat as well could possibly be 16 years old the rubber may not be as good as it once was.

I don't really know anyone with the same car as me as said I wasn't really into cars I bought this out of pure chance and fell in love with VW. So slowly but surely learning !

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2017, 20:59 »
The ign amps do fail. But like everything eventually it fails. Where abouts are you as ive got a spare set of vw coilpacks for an agu off a low mileage engine

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2017, 21:01 »
Are you sure the car is fitted with the agu engine as in 2001 it would be an aum fitted  :smiley:

Offline cp121

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2017, 21:08 »
I'm in Edinburgh Scotland. On my chassis it has agm. its actally a 2002 model 51 plate I don't know if they are any different. For brand new replacement coils would likes of ngk be good enough ?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2017, 21:11 »
Just phone vw they had a coil pack recall and see if your cars been done yet  :smiley:   Your car will be an aum the agu was fitted to pre 2000 cars
« Last Edit: 05 January 2017, 21:13 by barrym381 »

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2017, 21:54 »
Yep - another easy check is on the engine bay, AUM should be stamped on a small flat area at the top of the head, to the left of the valve cover at the front.

Offline cp121

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2017, 17:59 »
It's fixed woo hoo...

I got the phone number for a guy a bout 50 miles away who had many sensors. We tried ignition amp no joy. He had decent low mileage injectors genuine ones. Problem fixed as simple as that car would run tick over fine run fine when cold but soon as engines temperature rose failed ! crazy

Also the engine is a AGU belive it or not the guy had never seen it in any car as new as mine. Crazy crazy

thanks everyone