Author Topic: Traction control warning light  (Read 14618 times)

Offline Joewb84

• Not said much yet
Traction control warning light
« on: 17 November 2010, 22:31 »
Hi guys,

I'm new on here so please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section.

I've got a mk4 Golf Gti turbo and occasionally the traction control warning light switches on and stays on until I switch the engine off and on again. When the light comes on permanently pressing the ESP button doesn't switch it off. When the light is not displaying the traction control definately works as if I drive aggressively I can feel it cutting in and the light flashes.

Anyone out there had the same problem and know what the cause is? I have heard a couple of things such as the lateral sensor is faulty or possibly some problem with wiring as this is not a constant problem. Any ideas?

Joe

Bromley, Kent

Offline paulhgti

• GTI forum regular
  • GOLF 1.8T AUM 209bhp 228LB FT TORQUE
Re: Traction control warning light
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2010, 13:41 »
Not sure but i think i read on here some where that the alternater is faulty which brings the traction control light on.not 100% on that tho

AUM 209 BHP R-TECH STAGE 1 RE MAP,MILTEK CAT BACK 4MOTION EXHAUST,4MOTION VALANCES,PIPERCROSS FILTER,TINTS,WIND DEFLECTORS,BOOST LEAK,SANTA MONICA ALLOYS,35mm H&R LOWERING SPRINGS

Offline vwprime

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2010, 15:21 »
Had somthing simler on my TT. Was the RR wheel speed sensore in the end. If you can get some one to plug in and read your ecu it will tell you starte away what the problem is :)
TRANSFORM, & ROLL OUT!

Offline paulwayman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2010, 15:25 »
Hi guys,

I'm new on here so please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section.

I've got a mk4 Golf Gti turbo and occasionally the traction control warning light switches on and stays on until I switch the engine off and on again. When the light comes on permanently pressing the ESP button doesn't switch it off. When the light is not displaying the traction control definately works as if I drive aggressively I can feel it cutting in and the light flashes.

Anyone out there had the same problem and know what the cause is? I have heard a couple of things such as the lateral sensor is faulty or possibly some problem with wiring as this is not a constant problem. Any ideas?

Joe

Bromley, Kent

mine is same its doing my head in  :wink:

Offline Joewb84

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2010, 19:10 »
Thanks guys. Think I'm going to have to try and find someone local with access to vag com to try and read the fault from the car. Don't really want to go into a garage with it yet as they will charge the earth just get a diagnostic done!

Offline vw-8v

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2010, 20:36 »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-FAULT-CODE-READER-UK-/330492653385?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4cf2e5af49

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/047-U281-VAG-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-CAN-Fault-Code-Reader-/230548234196?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item35adbedfd4 i have this one saved me a fortune u will also need

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes   all this info was given to me buy th folk on this site and honest it the best thing i've bought yet sorted my  egr, abs, faulty cylinder 2 electrical lol and couple other probs

Offline Joewb84

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2010, 13:54 »
Cheers for that. I'm going to order up a fault reader as they're not as expensive as I 1st thought and it makes sense for me to have one.

Offline vwprime

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2010, 15:25 »
where are you located mate as some one hear you might have it and can help you out.
Im from Epsom if that helps and can plug in for you.
TRANSFORM, & ROLL OUT!

Offline MickeyC

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 GTI 1.8T
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2010, 15:51 »
could also be a faulty maf sensor

Offline 2001gti4

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2010, 17:17 »
could also be a faulty maf sensor
+1 I had this and when I scanned it was my MAF....
My Golf is dead but at least I have this....