Author Topic: Replacing ABS Sensor Harness  (Read 14661 times)

Offline lemonadeX

• Not said much yet
Replacing ABS Sensor Harness
« on: 18 April 2010, 17:42 »
Solution in last post

Hi guys,

About a week ago I fitted coilovers onto my Mk4 and managed to nick one of the cables that was routed beside the front n/s strut - The wire was bared which I wrapped in electrical tape. A few days on, I'm driving along and the following errors started showing up on the dash (in this order):

Check brake pads
ABS Fault
Brakes Fault
STOP - Service Manual

...So that's what I'm getting all the time at the moment; the brakes are working fine, I'm just wondering if this nick might've caused a problem with the ABS sensor? Or whatever else relating to the brakes the damaged cable might be. Not sure if it's relevant but these errors starting coming up right after I had to jump-start the car after the battery went flat?

Getting the following on VAG-COM:

Code: [Select]
3 Faults Found:
00283 - Front Left ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (G47)
            35-00 - -
00283 - Front Left ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (G47)
            16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent
01130 - ABS Operation
            27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Any ideas are appreciated :)

Thanks,
Will
« Last Edit: 21 April 2010, 16:22 by lemonadeX »

Offline Phil18t

• GTI forum regular
Re: ABS Sensor causing a brake fault?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2010, 19:19 »
obviously its the front left abs sensor wiring you've damaged..either repair it or get a new bit..unless its part of a full harness then you'll have to repair it.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2010, 19:20 »
The abs sensor is quite easy to replace I've got a few pics I'll sort if you remind me :afro:

Offline lemonadeX

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2010, 13:10 »
Thanks guys for the help. I've just jacked it up and found that the small nick that I had taped up has somehow been chewed apart! So either to the stealers for a replacement cable or £30 from the dealer :(

Will

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2010, 17:04 »
Sensor was £12 by our parts people. Or you taking bout the cable?

Offline lemonadeX

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2010, 17:24 »
Yeah it's the cable that needs replacing...2.5x the cost of the sensor itself :P

Will

Offline lemonadeX

• Not said much yet
Re: Replacing ABS Sensor Harness
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2010, 16:38 »
So I got the replacement harness from the dealers, came to around £30-35 including VAT. Thought I would give a short description of how to fit it seeing as I couldn't find any info on the forums. I didn't want to cut the existing wire inside the wheel arch as this would've made a weak point along the harness, which has a pretty thick shell due to the abuse it can take.

The harness attaches to the brake pad sensor and the ABS sensor on the arm, and goes through a little rubber grommet in the back of the wheel arch into the engine bay. By taking the airbox out, you can feel down behind the strut mount where this comes through, and feeds up into the wiring loom (which goes between the battery and the back of the dash). You can access this loom by unclipping the top of the plastic enclosure that it is housed within. There are a couple of looms, but you can feel that the harness goes into the thicker one.

What I was looking for was a decent access to the cable where I could cut it, bare the wires and solder the new harness in. The loom is this nasty black sticky tape, which I cut all the way along to where it separates to go down to the ABS/ECU unit. Now the black harness cable is made up of 4 wires, 2 of which go down to this unit and 2 which double back to go somewhere else. Once I knew I had the right cable from the loom (BE CAREFUL because there are 2 black wires of a similar thickness) I cut it at the point just after it comes through the wheel arch and pulled it through the loom so that I had lots to play with.

From here, you can disconnect the existing harness from the wheel arch, plug the new one in and feed this through the hole in the arch (fixing in the rubber grommet as you go). Feed the new wire up into the loom, bare the ends and solder them to the end of the existing harness (that you just cut).

Re-assemble and hopefully when you drive up the road your ABS light will go out and the car will stop beeping at you :)

Any questions just PM me.

Will