Author Topic: The dreaded dervs....  (Read 15507 times)

Offline ashw831

• I live here
The dreaded dervs....
« on: 17 August 2009, 20:41 »
Are they really as good as everyone is saying???

I am looking at sacking off my 1.8 n/a (fuel consuption is bad)(170miles to 35 quid...) and having just bought a house that is not good!!! :cry:

I wanted the turbo petrol but if people can talk me in to it i will get the derv, as i presume will be cheaper all round, insurance, tax, runing costs.

How quick are you looking if was to have the 110 then have nick to work his magic, i know will be 148 ish bhp but how quick is that in real terms, and what mpg would you get after doing that driving hard?

Thanks

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: The dreaded dervs....
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2009, 20:47 »
to give you an idea........

i'm running approx 176bhp

i've done 420 miles; half sat at 90mph following Steve yesterday, and i've got a 1/3 of a tank left

Tax is £125 per year, insurance is about the same and servicing intervals are the same

oh and diesel is only 1p more than petrol  :wink:

Offline ashw831

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2009, 20:49 »
which engine size did you get???

How much has it stolen you to get to that power, and i take it, she is fast with that looking at the quote you have at the bottom of your sig??

That is unreal mpg, i cant even get 300 to a tank... is there something wrong wiv my car or are they just this sh1t anyway?

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2009, 20:52 »
My 1.8 n/a is a major disappointment. Costs a lot in fuel for rubbish performance - the engine is pretty dull, doesnt involve you at all, and neither does the handling. Wish I'd gone for an Alfa 156 really.
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2009, 20:54 »
i went for the 130PD ASZ engine

to get to this power has cost me the price of a remap, £70 for an upgraded intercooler hose, £90 for a pancake pipe and thats it

to get it running reliabily i had to replace my clutch (£900), removed the EGR valve (£60) and urm thats it really.  Rest has been done as upgrades to suit me really.  Also replaced the N75 valve and coolant temperature sensor but thats it engine wise really

more details are in my project page  :smiley:

Offline ashw831

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2009, 20:57 »
[/quote]

was just looking at that now  :grin: :wink:

good stuff!! i think i may have seriously been talked in to it now!!

I persume yours is around the same speed as a mapped 1.8 turbs?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2009, 21:00 »

there or there abouts FI you compare it to an AGU.  AUM / AUQ will be faster as they have the KO3s and remap to over 200bhp  Don't get hung up on 0-60 times; its 30mph+ is what you need to think about  :wink:

plus think how often the petrol boys need to stop for fuel  :tongue: :grin: :grin:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2009, 21:02 »

Like f**k is it!!!  :P
« Last Edit: 17 August 2009, 21:04 by Ivor Mk4 Turbo »
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2009, 21:06 »

Like f**k is it!!!  :P

i'm intrigued as to what you ACTUALLY typed then  :tongue:  or did you spot my mostly unbiased post?  :wink:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2009, 21:09 »
My 1.8 n/a is a major disappointment. Costs a lot in fuel for rubbish performance - the engine is pretty dull, doesnt involve you at all, and neither does the handling. Wish I'd gone for an Alfa 156 really.

They're not particularly renowned for handling & performance, either (unless they do a GTA in that model?? :undecided:).  I think they'll even more unreliable than a Mk4, though!!  :lipsrsealed:  :D

The N/A Golfs are pretty gutless, TBH.  The MPG is so sh*te because you have to rag the fook out of 'em to get anywhere, lol!  :laugh:  (Forced induction in either the good stuff or diesel, is the way to go, IMO).  ;)
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0