Author Topic: Seat bolster collapsed...  (Read 5694 times)

Offline doc house

• Not said much yet
Seat bolster collapsed...
« on: 11 May 2018, 18:02 »
 :angry:

So the cock up fairy has been at work today and my drivers seat on my 7mth old golf has collapsed on one side leaving the metal frame poking up through the cover.

The car has done 5200 miles since I took deliver from September and the dealership has said it's wear and tear not covered by warranty...  :angry: I've owned 7 vw's and never had a seat fail on any of them and some had six figure mileages.

Has anyone got any advice not sure what to do other than take it to another VW dealer and try vw head office.

Help please from a fed up GTD owner

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
Re: Seat bolster collapsed...
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2018, 18:25 »
Contact VWUK. If it’s wear and tear then will you need to get a new seat every 7 months?

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2018, 18:36 »
It isn't wear and tear it is bad design. Had mine repaired once under warranty and it looks like itis failing again and the passenger seat is rarely used.

Either speak to the manager at the dealer or as said contact VWUK.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2018, 22:20 »
Go to a better dealership and get it done under warranty. I've had mine done, it's not perfect (fabric fit over the replaced bolster not quite right), but the foam on the drivers side nearest the door had moved and got compressed. The dealership made repairs without fuss. Some dealerships have inept warranty claims handlers who are so risk averse, they will not take on any work without the guarantee that VW will reimburse them. In my neck of the woods, Benfield (now Lookers) were very risk averse with seats and white-worm riddled wheels, but Pulman would sort no bother.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2018, 09:09 »
How is that even possible? Are you 50 stone and drag your arse over the bolster twenty times for every entry or exit?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2018, 09:32 »
Could be a manufacturing defect Fred.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2018, 09:51 »
Wear and tear on a 5k Miles 7 month old car....  :grin: :grin:

I would want a new seat fitting and sounds like your dealer needs a rocket up the
A**e!!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2018, 21:12 »
Quote the Consumer Rights Act at them, put everything in writing and as soon as their in house lawyer sees it, they should sort it, rather than have a solicitors letters etc.

I had an issue with something, and I found out that my house insurance have free legal advice line and  they talked me through how to use Consumer Rights Act to get the company to take notice and it worked.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline doc house

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2018, 13:17 »
So quick update... went to another VW dealership who couldn’t off been more helpful service manager looked at the car agreed its a part failure and has ordered the parts and the car should be fixed on Wednesday all under warranty.

Just amazed at the difference between two VW dealerships aproach to customer service. Hopefully it will all be sorted in a few days time.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2018, 13:30 »
So quick update... went to another VW dealership who couldn’t off been more helpful service manager looked at the car agreed its a part failure and has ordered the parts and the car should be fixed on Wednesday all under warranty.

Just amazed at the difference between two VW dealerships aproach to customer service. Hopefully it will all be sorted in a few days time.
I hope they have supplied a courtesy car until it's sorted and they kept the car  :smiley: