Author Topic: Which wheel brush(es) for Brescias?  (Read 8978 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Which wheel brush(es) for Brescias?
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2019, 17:13 »
Don't know which wheels you have, but with 19" Prets the big wheel woolie works everywhere EXCEPT the bit between the front disc caliper and the barrel. For that you do need the medium brush. But definitely worth the money.

That’s what I do. I also find small one is very good for cleaning some of the more fiddly / intricate parts of the car like the honeycomb grilles.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2019, 19:16 »
Which size brushes do you guys use and/or end up not using?

There appears to be two sets, A or B, the difference being the B set has a longer/bigger middle brush.

I only use a lambswool dooka wheel wash pad for the faces and behind the spokes and then the big wheel woolie for the barrels. They come up a treat!
Thanks for that. Does the 'big' woolly fit between the gap between the calliper and the rim or do you use another brush for that?

I'm trying to decide if I 'need' Kit A or B, and the importance of what the medium size brush is.

:)

The big one does fit between my callipers and rims but I have a normal GTI with the smaller brakes so I should imagine that you’ll need to use the medium brush with your bigger callipers because it’s a squeeze with the smaller ones.

Go for the set that has the longer handle on the medium brush.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2019, 13:35 »
Thanks all - woolies arrived when the forum was down:

On first inspection they seem of a superior quality to the microfibre mit I used previous to wash the wheels, and obviously look like they will be easier to use and get into the nooks & crannies such as the callipers.

I'm glad I went for the medium sized brush that has the long handle.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2019, 09:33 »
Used them for the first time, I'm now wondering how I've managed for so long without them.  :huh: :embarrassed:

So simple yet so effective. Their absorption and ability to retain the suds for washing is excellent.

I always use Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheels before washing the wheels with suds, and the woolies pick up remanence of that to further help with cleaning. Although my wheels are ceramic coated they have not ever (apart from when brand new!) looked as good as they do now.

I do wonder how long the big brush will last as it does scrub against the front discs quite a bit. As mentioned here, I can confirm that on Brescias the medium brush is perfect for getting into the gap of the front of the calliper and wheel where the big brush doesn't fit.

It's now got me looking at angled spoke brushes etc. :grin:
« Last Edit: 01 May 2019, 10:05 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2019, 19:09 »
I wish I'd got them sooner, damn my tightness :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 30 April 2019, 23:08 »
Yes, my Wheel Woolies are an essential part of my cleaning kit.

@Watts; You’ll be saying the same when you’ve treated yourself to your DA polisher too!
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2019, 22:02 »
Yes, my Wheel Woolies are an essential part of my cleaning kit.

@Watts; You’ll be saying the same when you’ve treated yourself to your DA polisher too!

Quite probably! I have been looking...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 31 July 2019, 13:19 »
Are the wheel whoolies safe enough to use on the face of the alloy?  I'm currently using a wheel mitt and noticed it's starting to come apart, this gives me the perfect excuse to look for something new  :smiley:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 31 July 2019, 14:38 »
Are the wheel whoolies safe enough to use on the face of the alloy?  I'm currently using a wheel mitt and noticed it's starting to come apart, this gives me the perfect excuse to look for something new  :smiley:

Yes they are - the heads are made from very soft synthetic wool fibres. A new mitt for wheel use will be much cheaper than a set of Wheel Woolies though :grin:.

Once you’ve got a set of Wheel Woolies, because of the different sizes in the set they’re good for use on other parts of the car, such as the barrel section of the wheels, grilles, underside of the sills (the part that’s covered with the stone chip protective coating), inside the exhaust tips, brake calipers and so on.

Although I have a set of Wheel Woolies, I still clean the faces of my wheels and the reverse side of the wheel spokes with a dedicated wheel wash mitt, as I find it gives me more control - especially around areas like the wheel bolts and around the base of the tyre valve stem. I use the large and medium sized Wheel Woolies for the wheel barrels and brake callipers though.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 31 July 2019, 22:12 »

I have found that wheel woolies can become quite rough after a year or so so I use a small lambswool pad (link below) to clean the faces and it's small enough to clean behind the spokes too.

https://dooka.co.uk/Wheels-and-tyres/wheels/dooka-osha-wheel-pad