Author Topic: Question on POI's  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Question on POI's
« on: 25 March 2021, 16:14 »
Hi guys, I posted a similar question over in the MK7 section, but with the MK8 Golf (and most new 2021 VW's) losing the SD cards in favour of USB-C ports, do you still have the ability to upload speed camera databases, either via a USB data stick or via the VW Car Net / We connect services ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Question on POI's
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2021, 16:34 »
Not that I can see...

That's such a 20th century way of doing it anyway  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2021, 17:01 »
So what's the 21st Century way of doing it then Fred ?

Can speed cameras even been shown on the newer cars ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2021, 17:14 »
The 21st century way is to use an App via AA/ACP.... like Waze... (other apps are of course available  :whistle:)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2021, 18:34 »
No more reading the newspaper the next day either:
https://newspressuk.com/publicReleaseView/96948/53308
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2021, 20:47 »
The 21st century way is to use Travel Assist to ensure you’re never speeding   :lipsrsealed:

jv, is your entire cache press releases?  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2021, 21:05 »
Yeah, I'll send you the next round of "Bob Cheese promoted to Chief of Haptic" and "VW Commercial announce builder's tea replaced by oat milk chai latte" stories.

One of those is even true.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2021, 09:04 »
So what's the 21st Century way of doing it then Fred ?

Can speed cameras even been shown on the newer cars ?
what does the settings screen look like on the maps. On the 7 and 7.5 you had map options and POIs. Do you have the same menus on the 8. It might be hold hat to some but I like putting my own POIs on and using apps is a crap method.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2021, 09:16 »
Nothing in the map settings in the car.... I just went to check.

You can toggle on or off the VW supplied POI categories but there are no user defined ones.

As I said, static hand crafted speed camera locations is really old skool.... dynamic crowd sourced is much better.

Exonian was also right - don't speed by using the systems in the car is also a solution.... and coming VERY soon, the car will actually enforce the speed limits - GPS and speed limit sign detection will be mandatory, along with a limiter to prevent you speeding....

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103530/uk-set-to-adopt-eu-mandated-speed-limiters

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2021, 09:58 »
whilst I'd like to think I don't speed generally (most certainly not in a built up area) as I use the speed limiter function on the car almost every journey to prevent that (i.e I set is at 32mph in a 30 zone as my GPS reports that's between 30 and 31 mph), but I have nearly been caught out a few times on unfamiliar roads.

One was quite recently where I was in a national speed limit area (so 60mph) and was doing around 55 (as it was a twisty road), then after rounding a bend, there was a 30mph sign (no 300 yard markers and such), and 20 yards after the sign was a speed camera. I had to brake quite heavily to get the speed down (which the car right up my chuff behind me was non too impressed with), so having some sort of warning in the car would have at least better prepared me for it.