Author Topic: Parking sensors on wheel arch  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
Parking sensors on wheel arch
« on: 28 March 2021, 23:54 »
Has anyone noticed a lot of the YouTube euro vid cars have a sensor on the wheel arch basically on the side of the car? I’ve not seen that on any uk spec cars. Is it just an extra sensor if park assist is installed?

E.g. https://youtu.be/Z6tvO5WL28w (at 2min 16 sec)
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Parking sensors on wheel arch
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2021, 23:57 »
Yes they are for park assist. You get four extra sensors, two rear and two front.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2021, 00:10 »
Yes they are for park assist. You get four extra sensors, two rear and two front.

Thank you!
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2021, 08:45 »
Has anyone got park assit? What’s it like in terms of not curbing alloys on a parallel park?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2021, 09:18 »
Has anyone got park assit? What’s it like in terms of not curbing alloys on a parallel park?

It was always not too bad, leaving quite a reasonable gap but of course it can only cope if the space is actually parallel - if its on a curve, it could dink it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2021, 09:19 »

I think in all the time I’ve been on VAG forums (probably 10+ years), most of those who’ve spec’d park assist have used it only a handful of times, which IMHO probably means it has an entertainment value but after it’s been used a few times is seen as a bit of a gimmick. The Golf isn’t an large car, and with dipping kerbside mirror and parking sensors, it should be fairly easy to park in most situations, including parallel parking, without needing park assist.

I may be wrong but with parallel parking, I think on the mk7 / mk7.5 park assist uses the position of the vehicles in front and behind the intended parking space and how they’ve parked as reference points. If those vehicles have parked badly (wheels mounting the pavement or alloys ‘kissing’ the kerb), then park assist will attempt to park your car in a similar fashion. Park assist technology may have moved on, so the risk of alloy wheel damage when parallel parking if surrounding vehicles are poorly parked may no longer be an issue. I’ve certainly not read of any instances with the mk8 Golf of kerbed alloys as a result of poor or inaccurate assistance from park assist, although i suspect it’s probably not a particularly popular option, in which case no reports of alloy damage is likely to be the result of a low take up rate.

It’s not an expensive option at £200, but I think I’d be looking to spend that £200 elsewhere.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2021, 11:11 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2021, 00:10 »
Yes you are right SRGTD. It uses the parked cars and if they've parked just on the kerb then Park Assist will try and follow suit. It's still a great piece of tech for the money though.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.