Author Topic: Considering BMW 340i to Golf GTI Performance  (Read 9030 times)

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
Re: Considering BMW 340i to Golf GTI Performance
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2019, 09:35 »
Hi did exactly the same move myself last year went from a 340i with the Mpspk fitted to a Golf Gti  and on the whole don't miss it at all. I do miss the sound of the car in sports mode though  :evil:  :evil: :evil:

That’s good to hear. Would you say it was as comfortable and how does the fuel economy compare? Obviously the engine in the 340i is a peach so I know I will miss this at times but I was pleasantly surprised by the power plant in the GTI PP on the short test drive

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2019, 10:44 »
That’s good news. Was that generally sat at 70mph with a few glimpses of traffic? (Hence the average speed)
It's a 180 mile journey of predominantly motorway driving on the M25/M40/M42/M6/M54. These are a mix of managed motorways(M25/M42/M6) where I never go above 70, and non-managed (M40/M54) where I make pace. At each end of the journey there is a 20min stint in A/B roads, it is those two stints that can impact the MPG, the GTi doesn't do consumption that well around town.

I have come from fast cars (M's RS's etc) and most recently a new Range Rover Sport, so the Golf was in essence a 'downgrade', which I did for financial budgeting reasons due to going through a messy separation. But truth be told the change hasn't been that much of a struggle as I was expecting comfort wise because I ticked the option boxes that make the difference to me (DCC, Dynaudio, Leather, Leccy seats etc).

IMO there is very little out there that can give the same all-round ability of the GTI. It can be hard to get the power down sometimes, but I put that down to me not driving a FWD car for 6/7 years and I'm slowly getting used to when/how to get the power down. My plan is to keep it for several years and even though it's only month old a 1100 miles on the clock it's exceeded expectations so far.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 13 February 2019, 14:15 »
That’s good news. Was that generally sat at 70mph with a few glimpses of traffic? (Hence the average speed)
It's a 180 mile journey of predominantly motorway driving on the M25/M40/M42/M6/M54. These are a mix of managed motorways(M25/M42/M6) where I never go above 70, and non-managed (M40/M54) where I make pace. At each end of the journey there is a 20min stint in A/B roads, it is those two stints that can impact the MPG, the GTi doesn't do consumption that well around town.

I have come from fast cars (M's RS's etc) and most recently a new Range Rover Sport, so the Golf was in essence a 'downgrade', which I did for financial budgeting reasons due to going through a messy separation. But truth be told the change hasn't been that much of a struggle as I was expecting comfort wise because I ticked the option boxes that make the difference to me (DCC, Dynaudio, Leather, Leccy seats etc).

IMO there is very little out there that can give the same all-round ability of the GTI. It can be hard to get the power down sometimes, but I put that down to me not driving a FWD car for 6/7 years and I'm slowly getting used to when/how to get the power down. My plan is to keep it for several years and even though it's only month old a 1100 miles on the clock it's exceeded expectations so far.

Great detailed response, thanks. Can I ask why you didn’t opt for the R coming from your long history of performance cars?

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 13 February 2019, 14:40 »
Are you honestly asking whether you should switch cars, which is going to save you £125 per month and allow you to pocket £14k and thus buy another house :laugh: I wish I had your problems!

Take the Golf, even if it's sh!tte, it's going to get you from A-B, take it now!!

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 13 February 2019, 15:42 »
Great detailed response, thanks. Can I ask why you didn’t opt for the R coming from your long history of performance cars?
A few reasons:

1. My reason for change was driven mainly by economic/budget reasons, and an R would have meant thousands of pounds more spend over the term. If budget hadn't been an issue I would have gone for a new RS3 Sportback.
2. The depreciation curve on the GTI is much better due to it being rarer as the market wasn't/isn't flooded with base spec cheap lease cars.
3. The GTI is less of a magnet to theft than the R. Sure, the GTI is still being stolen (as a recent thread here shows), but seemingly not as much as the R/S3 and/or in such numbers of drastic instances, touch wood!
4. An R to the same spec as mine would be £43k (before discount) taking it well into the luxury car tax bracket of £450 a year for 5 years. My GTI came in just short of £39k (before discount), so that means £140 a year to tax for 5 years. Sadly the amount of discount you get doesn't impact the VED rate, it's the RRP cost that matters (excluding any OTR costs), so an R would have meant dropping some of the options (it's the same options across both cars, you don't get anything standard on the R that's an option on the GTI). which I didn't really want to do given I plan to keep it for a few years so wanted/needed what I specced.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 13 February 2019, 16:19 »
What is the M140i like?, Im looking at getting one :evil:

MK7 GTi

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 13 February 2019, 17:57 »

OP has a 340 for sale  :wink:
« Last Edit: 13 February 2019, 18:05 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 13 February 2019, 18:01 »

Not as good as a 340i 😉 fancy one? 😂

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 13 February 2019, 18:04 »
This does sound like an opportunity not to miss out on. I worked at Fiat 25ish years ago and we had a discount scheme for employees. With the right PCP deal, you could run a new car for next to nothing. My Dad had a few cars for a year at a time. On a top spec Brava, he put £2000 down, paid £14 a month (yes fourteen) and after a year, still had £2000 equity as a deposit for another new one. No road tax, tyres, servicing to pay for, just insurance and fuel. Yes it was a Fiat, but motoring doesn't get much cheaper than that.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 13 February 2019, 18:48 »

OP has a 340 for sale  :wink:
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.