Author Topic: Considering BMW 340i to Golf GTI Performance  (Read 9097 times)

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
Re: Considering BMW 340i to Golf GTI Performance
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2019, 20:33 »
I had a couple of M135is and now have a 245PP.

You'll miss iDrive like crazy, VW really haven't got anything on it. There's no point comparing the drive, engine or practicality as they're poles apart.

Financially it sounds great. So long as you're not suddenly dropped in the poo should your door into the scheme get shut, I can't see many downsides.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2019, 20:34 »
Mine is a company car so used for daily commute to the office (rubbish mpg in city traffic, 15-25mpg  this time of year) and then trips to meetings which can be anywhere. The GTI is great fun and on A and B roads you would need a seriously quick car to keep up. But also comfortable to drive and plenty of std spec.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2019, 21:11 »
I had a couple of M135is and now have a 245PP.

You'll miss iDrive like crazy, VW really haven't got anything on it. There's no point comparing the drive, engine or practicality as they're poles apart.

Financially it sounds great. So long as you're not suddenly dropped in the poo should your door into the scheme get shut, I can't see many downsides.

How do you find being in a 245 PP in comparison to the m135i? I know they are different drives and engine but do you miss the rear wheel drive shove, the power and also the linearity of the engine?

I can’t see my tie being plugged to be honest as I have 3 in-law family members work there. 2 whom will carry on working until they retire in 10 or so years time.

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2019, 21:13 »
You'll easily get 40+ on a run in a GTi. I get mid 40s every time on any run.
I got 40+ the other week on my first long run, which bearing in mind was on a very tight & new engine (less than 500miles) I was very pleased with, as I know it'll only get better as the engine loosens up...

:smiley:

That’s good news. Was that generally sat at 70mph with a few glimpses of traffic? (Hence the average speed)

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2019, 21:37 »

How do you find being in a 245 PP in comparison to the m135i? I know they are different drives and engine but do you miss the rear wheel drive shove, the power and also the linearity of the engine?

I can’t see my tie being plugged to be honest as I have 3 in-law family members work there. 2 whom will carry on working until they retire in 10 or so years time.

Oh, there's no mistaking the difference a 6 pot, RWD (mine had a Drexler LSD) and uncorrupted steering makes. Whilst flawed in a couple of ways, they're a unique fast hatch and very enjoyable to drive.

I was at the point where I'd had them for 6 years, I didn't fancy a 3rd and there was nothing else shouting out to me.

So, in times when I don't know what I want, I always buy a GTI. Discreet, enough power/grip for every day fun, nicely made, don't feel like a tit driving it, happily transport my missus and kids without re-arranging their organs.... They're just 'right'. 

New DSG is a load better than it was in my MK5 GTI - although still really frigging annoying in that it won't let you hold a gear and shifts up on its own, engine is good, if a little lacking in ability to rev to proper numbers - feels like it has more than 245hp though. Chassis is tight, bit too grippy at the rear, but I can fix that with geo and some Superpro bits on the front... I like it French style :)

It'll do for 18 months/2 years whilst the next crop of cars come out and I see what tickles my fancy. I don't have any brand loyalty, I buy on merit.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2019, 21:48 by mike roberts »
'18 245PP DSG

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2019, 21:50 »

Oh, there's no mistaking the difference a 6 pot, RWD (mine had a Drexler LSD) and uncorrupted steering makes. Whilst flawed in a couple of ways, they're a unique fast hatch and very enjoyable to drive.

I was at the point where I'd had them for 6 years, I didn't fancy a 3rd and there was nothing else shouting out to me.

So, in times when I don't know what I want, I always buy a GTI. Discreet, enough power/grip for every day fun, nicely made, don't feel like a tit driving it, happily transport my missus and kids without re-arranging their organs.... They're just 'right'. 

New DSG is a load better than it was in my MK5 GTI, engine is good, if a little lacking in ability to rev to proper numbers - feels like it has more than 245hp though. Chassis is tight, if a little grippy at the rear, but I can fix that with geo and some Superpro bits on the front... I like it French style :)

It'll do for 18 months/2 years whilst the next crop of cars come out and I see what tickles my fancy. I don't have any brand loyalty, I buy on merit.

It sounds like you don’t really miss the m135i too much, am I right in thinking the GTI ticks the boxes in different ways? I’ve never owned one but always wanted one if I’m honest. Seems like now is the perfect time, even if it is for 6 month and then I change out.

How do you find the fuel economy in comparison? Town driving, Motorway Run and overall average?

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2019, 22:01 »
I miss skidding it everywhere  :whistle:

Yeah, apples and oranges but the GTI is a very nice car and does what I want it to do.

Does 35ish on my commute down A/B roads, mid-40s on the way to Silverstone last week, 12 on track, mid-40s on the way back. Never missed a beat.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2019, 22:22 »
I miss skidding it everywhere  :whistle:

Yeah, apples and oranges but the GTI is a very nice car and does what I want it to do.

Does 35ish on my commute down A/B roads, mid-40s on the way to Silverstone last week, 12 on track, mid-40s on the way back. Never missed a beat.

Sounds like I need to just give it a go! For the money I will be spending on monthlies coupled with the amount I’m pocketing for the 340i it sounds like it will be worth it. I honestly didn’t expect mid 40s on a run. This sat at 70ish?

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2019, 22:59 »
Yeah, it’s quite light and massively overdriven in 7th.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2019, 07:21 »
Hi did exactly the same move myself last year went from a 340i with the Mpspk fitted to a Golf Gti  and on the whole don't miss it at all. I do miss the sound of the car in sports mode though  :evil:  :evil: :evil:
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp