Author Topic: retrofit wireless phone charging  (Read 4966 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: retrofit wireless phone charging
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2017, 08:46 »
Does Apple CarPlay work over Bluetooth?

The thing I've said about the wireless charging is that its great except that you can't use Android Auto while using it.

If that's true it makes wireless changing in the car redundant. Why wireless charge (and lose AA) when you can simply plug it in, hide it in the box and have both AA and charging at the same time?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2017, 10:43 »
Yes, it is true at the moment. Wireless carplay does exist, but VW haven't implemented it yet.

BMW have...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/23/14716566/wireless-carplay-harman-more-cars

I guess this will be another "buy the MY19 golf with wireless carplay"

Not sure about wireless AA yet... it has to come I guess, but the excuse is about stopping the driver fiddling with the phone.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2017, 10:53 »
Yes, it is true at the moment. Wireless carplay does exist, but VW haven't implemented it yet.

BMW have...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/23/14716566/wireless-carplay-harman-more-cars

I guess this will be another "buy the MY19 golf with wireless carplay"

Not sure about wireless AA yet... it has to come I guess, but the excuse is about stopping the driver fiddling with the phone.

I thought I'd read that the reason AA doesn't/is not allowed to work over the air is for battery drain which makes sense actually. Maybe for very short trips it would be bearable but leaving it in AA for half an hour without charging wouldn't be very smart with current battery consumption standards. Of-course, wireless charging could be just the solution for that.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 14 September 2017, 11:17 »
If you really want in-car wireless charging surely all you need to do is buy a generic wireless charging dock / mat (a Belkin one or similar) and leave that permanently plugged into the USB socket in the cubby and then you can just leave your phone down onto that.

The wireless-charging option factory fitted is nearly 500 euro here in Ireland which seems nuts to me. Think I'll stick with the misery of having to plug it in.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 14 September 2017, 12:05 »
Yes but if you use the USB port in the cubby for a wireless charging thing then you can't plug into AA or CP...

Its not even as if there are any other USB sockets available in the right place.

I agree though that 500 quid for a flippin wireless charger is outrageous though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC