Author Topic: Drilling rear number plate ?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Drilling rear number plate ?
« on: 06 February 2019, 08:06 »
OK, i know the sounds like a weird title for a thread but bear with me.

The number plates on my May 2018 GTI were stuck on with adhesive pads by the dealer, but over the course of the last 9 months or so, a couple of the 3m pads have let go (despite replacing them all a couple of times), to the point where I'm contimplating mounting the number plates in the conventional way via drilling and screwing them on (with the small coloured caps that go over the screws).

I've done this on both of my previous MK7 GTD's, however when having a look on my MK 7.5 from underneath (there's the big hole in the lower valance I presume for the VW tow bar), I can see a fairly thick metal (aluminium ?) panel running directly behind the bumper skin, right behind where I would drill, that wasn't there on the previous cars.

Is that just the crash bar and is it safe to drill into, as my car is fitting with rear assist so don't really want to be drilling into something I shouldn't ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
Re: Drilling rear number plate ?
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2019, 08:48 »
I have never drilled mine Sootchucker so I can't comment there, but if you do want to try the sticking route again, Rebecca recommended this tape a while ago (enough for front and back) and I can't see them ever moving again!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BR2MTS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kYPwCb6W97MR2
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2019, 08:49 »
Mine is drilled, top corners of the plate.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2019, 09:05 »
My dealer plates were drilled. Can’t stand drilled plates myself but here you can see the holes when the plate was off.

With new pressed aluminium plate...

« Last Edit: 06 February 2019, 11:05 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2019, 09:10 »
Mine is drilled, top corners of the plate.

Same here
7.5 GTD

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2019, 10:44 »
Also not a fan of drilled plates.
For my rear plate, I sourced a front plate backing mount and screwed it on to the rear apron using original drilled holes.
Then an easy job to fix undrilled new rear plates with tape and you have front and rear plates identical with a very nice black border round the yellow plate at the back.
Looks fab against silver!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2019, 10:47 »
Backing mounts can be bought for around a fiver from platesforcars.com

I always buy my plates from them, with a nice thin red border line round the edge. Always look great and v durable.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2019, 10:50 »
You will be safe drilling it as per that photo, just use a safety stop on the drill, so the drill bit doesn't go any further that it needs to. If you don't have a safety stop, just put a sh!t load of masking tape 5mm up the drill bit.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2019, 12:40 »
I was told by someone who fits plates everyday that the trick is to heat up the tape before fitting it. He told me that after I had done mine of cause!
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2019, 16:17 »
^^^ Common sense really. Just like wiping the area with panel wipe or tar remover. I've seen people stick them onto a freshly waxed surface, then wonder why they've fallen off.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.