Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 429360 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: LL's MK3 1.4 '96
« Reply #10 on: 29 February 2008, 00:29 »

Anyway got a list of things to do:
-rear lights; buy gti lights and smoke them.
-gti spoiler; pm'd guy on this website.
-sound system; stealthbox (maybe x2 each with 10") + 6x9 in shelf
-rcl kit; gotta get this fitted.
-rear bumper; see pics, bodywork+paint
-induction kit; ordered, should be here soon, pics to come.
-speedo lights; ebay £3 for 509t red leds x2
-side indicators; black/smoked ones, gotta have 'em
-grill; debadged grill, paint to match car
-exhaust; new backbox, oval 6x4/twin 3" (upswept)

Probs be able to sell lexus lights for like £40-50 on ebay.

Is it possible, if I refurbed the alloys, to paint them black? Or do they need to be powercoated professionally? I just like the look of red car - black alloys, especially when its lowered.

How easy is it to smoke the rear lights black?

Other things to do that are not really important atm is new headlights (twin/hella style), smoked front fog/indicator lights and mean look bonnet extension. I will lower it when all is done and I have the money, it will be like the finishing touch as well as a full respray!

Cheers

LL ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #11 on: 29 February 2008, 00:56 »
Just had a think, not sure whats best to do. Instead of a debadged grill, I was thinking, spray the rest of the black plastic on the grill red and then spray all badges, front and rear, black. The whole red/black color scheme will look good; and if I get black alloys, well it will look much better.

Or I can spray rear badges red to match car and get red debadged grill?

I'm more towards option 1 though, red grill+black badges.

Oh and another question, something I'm not sure of; is it possible to just clip the side trims off (grey plastic trim that runs down middle of doors)? I want to take these off, sand down, prime and paint them to match car.

Cheers again,

LL ;)

Offline nelds

• I live here
  • Now Golfless but owning an Audi still counts
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2008, 06:31 »
did you want some GTI side door trims with plastic arches..??

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2008, 20:11 »
not sure atm, ill keep that in mind.

Cheers m8

LL ;)

Offline nelds

• I live here
  • Now Golfless but owning an Audi still counts
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2008, 21:31 »
drop me a PM if ya do buddy

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #15 on: 01 March 2008, 22:34 »

-rear lights; buy gti lights and smoke them.        gti lights are smoked allready and dont require extra reflectors..if you do smoke them more you'll need to add some
-gti spoiler; pm'd guy on this website.    remember the gti bolts through the glass. Either youll need to cut the bolts off and bond this on or buy a driver spec one as they are only bonded
-speedo lights; ebay £3 for 509t red leds x2         if these are for the clocks youll need at least 8 bulbs try ultraleds.co.uk at 99p each
-side indicators; black/smoked ones, gotta have 'em   remember to buy the correct shaped ones as they changed from square to oval
-exhaust; new backbox, oval 6x4/twin 3" (upswept)      you will need a reducer to fit the exhaust to smaller engined models add about £12 to the price

Is it possible, if I refurbed the alloys, to paint them black? Or do they need to be powercoated professionally? I just like the look of red car - black alloys, especially when its lowered. depends on what finish you want? if it is for show powder coating is the only way but for normal use normal aerosol should be fine
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2008, 23:17 »
cheers boney!

2moro i will spray my badges black and sand down the back bumper

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2008, 21:06 »
Ok so here's an update of what I been doing (or trying to do  :laugh: )

I replaced the light behind the heater controls to red:

This is what it looks like, you can see its just a regular bulb with a green filter around it. The clear plastic thing on the left "spreads" the light to the heater controls.

I then popped in a similar shaped LED. It wasn't a perfect fit, too big. The legs connected and it worked so i just secured it with some duck tape :grin:

No pic of final outcome, as my 1.3 camera doesn't work in the dark v. well :embarassed:

I found some red sparco pedals that i must have bought a while back without knowing! :laugh: Couldn't be arsed to drill holes to bolt them on, so just used some super duper double side tape. They are actually on there pretty good, needs some force to rip them off. Only probs with the pedals is that the accelerator is too big and i'm afraid that when i brake i'm going to accelerate too! :shocked: Haven't driven it with them on yet, but if it is a problem, i will just rip it off. (would make it easier to down shift though). Anyway, heres a pic:

Going to give the speaker covers a respray as I didn't laquer them and the paint I used was sh!t. The can sprayed by itself, and even then it didn't spray right, it sort of spat out blobs of paint :angry: Bought some new paint now, so get them done soon. Reason for respray is that when they were rubbed (by shoe when you get out car) the paint came off.

Started to sand down bumper ... its hard work. I am going to remove paint/prime down to the plastic. Sanding it down by hand sucks. I'm going to borrow my dads power sander i think, that should be easier :cool: Didn't get much done as just as I started the sh!tty weather of Plymouth came in and it started to p!ss it down. :angry: So here is how it looks for now, not cool:

Oh and you can see in the pic that i took off the "GOLF" badge. I also want to spray the plastic bit above the license plate; but i can't get it off as the t-screws are rusted sooo much! So I guess i'll be leaving that one. Might try the door trims though, have the whole body red, no black plastic, that's the plan.

Going to Plymouth Car Sound 2moro to find out about RCL kit, caused I don't know and dont have the time really to figure it out.

More to come ....

LL ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #18 on: 02 March 2008, 21:12 »
Going to dealer 2moro to get paint for car, "flash red". Halfords dont do it. Pick that up on tuesday. Also, i will spray my front and back vw badges, black.

Still more to come ...

LL ;)

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2008, 23:42 »
might be worth going down to a local scrap yard and seeing if there are any mark 3's in there. For things like a red grill, interior, rear lights etc