Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 429299 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab
« on: 27 February 2008, 21:24 »
[LOL at this post!!!!] <edit 21.07.2009>
[LOL again!!! B A C K   I N   T H E   D A Y  :D ] <edit 26.3.2010>

Hi all,

This is my first car, first project. I'm 17 and so don't always know whats best :tongue:

Here some pics to start off:

I know the lexus lights arent great but I got them for £40 and I like the way they are layed out, just don't like the chrome effect. Would like to make the chrome areas black; this would give a more subtle look and be totally unique.

Need a new exhaust, the one on there now is standard just with a tip bolted on. Was looking at getting an upswept oval 6x4 or twin gti style.

Going to repair the rear bumper; fill cracks, sand down, prime and paint.

These are the alloys that came on the car when I bought it:

I want to get new ones as they are cheap Fox alloys and are scuffed badly (and not clean! :p ). Was thinking of getting big rims but decided against it. Like the look of the borbet style rim or deep dish. Black rims would be best :)

Got the seat covers for £10, keeps the original seats clean (from my m8's!) and look smart too.

Sparco X-speed red /silver for £8. bargain, just an item on ebay that i lucky with in the bidding.
[My friend got a K&N typhoon induction kit (RRP £225) for like £20!!! lucky F*CK!]

Lots more to write, just can't think now :P :laugh:

Cheers all,
let me know,

LL ;)

« Last Edit: 15 January 2013, 20:14 by LazyLunatic »

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: LL's MK3 1.4 '96
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2008, 21:26 »
*im meant the lexus lights are really not great!

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2008, 04:21 »
Just replace the lexus lights with some GTI smoked ones instead. You could probably sell them lexus ones on ebay too and end up replacing them for free.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2008, 09:24 »
yeah probs will. I heard that you can take them apart and mask the inside, so it black instead of chrome. But this sounds either too complicated (breaking seal, etc) or just not true!

Be checking on ebay ...

More to come this afternoon, I have done some ... amateur spraying   :laugh:

Its all good fun,
Cheers for the feedback,

LL ;)

Offline tom26

• I live here
  • team chumpy.
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2008, 16:26 »
nice first project :smiley:
as already noted - those lights must go. I would seriously consider opting out of the 'Metal look floor mat and racey seat cover' options, too.

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2008, 16:33 »

I'm 17 and so don't always know whats best :p

finding this site is a good start mate.  :wink:

loose the lights, like Neaty says, you'll probably make what you pay by selling the Lexarse ones.

have a look on the "show us pics of your mk3" in the mk3 section for some good ideas.

the best thing about having a more basic model is that upgrade parts are usually plentiful due to people breaking GTI's.

keep it subtle.  :smiley:

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2008, 17:13 »
ditch the fake metal mats, get some GTI seats in there, lexus lights could look cool painted black  :smiley:

good base tho :afro:

Oh and slam it  :wink:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2008, 19:23 »
I want to slam it and get some deep dish alloys on there, maybe a deep lip front spoiler. Gotta save up first ;)

I like the subtle look for the exterior. The interior is sort of a project in itself, I think I'm going to keep playing with until it looks good. The original black mats were too dull, the fake metal ones are OK but are cheap and tacky, although they reflect the light well (gives cool effect when reflecting red light).

Brings me to my next thing - red footwell neons  :rolleyes:
Wasn't sure bout these, but they actually look pretty good. I thought they were going to be really bright, but if neons can be subtle  :huh: , then these are (for neons of course)

Here's a crappy pic (1.3M phone)

Looks way cool in person. Also have a dash mounted switch. Got a chuffty for doing these myself too  :grin:  its all for the fun (and the chuffty!)

The next thing I did was prime and paint my speaker covers, several layers of each.

Before:

After:

Also did my head unit surround.

Before:

After:

Not sure whether that is enough silver, was tempted by the chrome vents on ebay ... or maybe the plastic pieces to left and right of the head unit?

Cleaned my engine a bit, you'll see in the pic the shiny silver. Well all that was black and sh!tty. Elbow grease + wirebrush = pic :)

The manifold cover went from looking like this:

to this

Thinking about a boot install. Two 10", one each side (maybe do that fibreglass stealth box each side, looks cool and still gives me boot space still).

Like the layout of "lexarse" (haha, nice one) lights, but just too much. I will find out if I can black the inside chrome part. If not just sell them and get smoked ones. Would be nice for someone in my school to get a mk3 golf so i can sell him all the stuff i dont want (for a high price  :grin: )

Bought some parts to put together for my induction kit.
-apiro stainless steel filter
-135 alloy pipe plus
-red silicone 90 reducer elbow
-red oil breather hose (original isn't long enough)
-brackets and fixings, etc
Basically just for the sound, if that, otherwise it is for fun and looks :laugh: didn't really think about power gain as its only 1.4 but my m8 has 1.4 leon with k&n typhoon kit and it makes a difference to his performance.

Seat covers (i got the ones with no logo, etc on them) cheap from ebay. Looked good at first but starting to look tacky and being covers they keep moving and creasing  :angry: . Would like to get red/black racing seats if i could (cheap of course), for the comfort. Seating position atm isn't great.

More updates to come and thanks for the feedback; in the end will have a bit of everybody on there!

(remember i'm still in school! :laugh: )

Cheers all,

LL ;)

kells

« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2008, 23:40 »
yeah drop it on its arse

loose the seat covers (replace with plain gray ones from halfords cost 7 quid)

loose the tail lights and replace with GTI ones

not a fan of the mats but its your car dude

decent first car tho so good luck with the project :)

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2008, 23:46 »
good first car... i think if you give the alloys a tidy,swap seats for driver/gti ones (much better than standards) and change/paint the rear lights... I painted mine but to split them was a pain!! and i would buy some rather than do them again
oh and lowering would make it look much better... I think lots of hardly used lowering kits will be for sale shortly... mine will be :wink:(or go for the £150 coilover deal)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk