Author Topic: Wheel Dilema  (Read 5516 times)

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
Wheel Dilema
« on: 15 May 2019, 20:13 »
Need help please.
Currently have 19" Diamond Cut Bresica wheels on my Oryx White Mk7.5 Golf Performance.
Can't decide whether to have them painted or powder coated? Or what colour to go with?
Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Wheel Dilema
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2019, 20:27 »
Leave them as is, don't go and ruin what is a great looking wheel :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2019, 20:35 »

Took this screenshot of some Brescia's that had been refinished.
You can only refurb diamond cut 2 or 3 times, so was wondering the same as I've had 1 done 2 times already.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2019, 20:43 »
As per Watts, unless they're battered or riddled with whiteworm, any painting will only make them look worse.  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2019, 20:45 »
Cheers guys. They are great looking wheels to be sure but already showing signs of corrosion on a couple of them .the dreaded white worm. Going to cost me £100+ per wheel for diamond cut refurb, they will go again & can only be cut a couple of times anyway hence going down the route of
full repaint or powder coating. MKgti..are they powder coated or painted m8?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2019, 20:51 »
Keep the Brescia alloys - put them into storage if you’ve got the space so you can fit them back on the car when the time comes to sell it - and buy a second set of wheels.

I’d go for a set of wheels with a painted / powder coated finish (so no risk of white worm corrosion) in a gunmetal or anthracite colour which IMO would look good on a white car. Forum member Gnasher has a set of BBS SR alloys in satin Himalayan Grey - see post #15 in the thread at the link below. BBS SR’s are available in 18” and 19” sizes for the Golf. 18’s are 8j x 18 ET45 and 19’s are 8.5j x 19 ET46.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=279564.msg2556379#msg2556379

I’m personally not a big fan of black alloys as I think much of the detail of the wheel’s design gets lost on a black wheel, and they soon look dirty when they get a layer of brake dust on them.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2019, 21:14 »
I don't understand why your wheels are having so many problems so quickly? My Santiagos are far from mint with a few areas of kerbing but no signs of whiteworm after 4 years. Is it a local conditions issue? Perhaps getting them refurbed by a quality company (Lepsons are regularly recommended) they will last longer? If you are determined to go down a painted finish, how about keeping them as is ie with the diamond cut parts painted silver?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2019, 21:34 »
I don't understand why your wheels are having so many problems so quickly? My Santiagos are far from mint with a few areas of kerbing but no signs of whiteworm after 4 years. Is it a local conditions issue? Perhaps getting them refurbed by a quality company (Lepsons are regularly recommended) they will last longer? If you are determined to go down a painted finish, how about keeping them as is ie with the diamond cut parts painted silver?

I think it’s likely to be quite expensive to have them refurbished in a two colour paint / powder coat finish to replicate the original diamond cut finish. To achieve a diamond cut look with two different colours of paint / powder coat it’d be necessary paint / powder coat the entire wheel in one colour first, and I suspect that accurate masking each wheel to cover those parts that are to remain in the first colour before applying the second colour would be quite time consuming (and time costs money). If short cuts were taken on the masking up, the end result could be paint bleed under the edge of the masking tape, and crooked lines between black and silver sections on the wheel.

That’s why these two tone wheels are almost always diamond cut - it’s much quicker / more time efficient for the wheel refurbishing company to paint / powder coat an entire wheel and then remove paint from the face by re-cutting the face back to bare metal on a lathe than it would be to paint, mask up, and then repaint.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2019, 21:45 »
Thanks everyone, appreciate your help.
The wheels are mint apart from 2 of them having patches of corrosion starting to show. I can only assume that the laquer has got chipped & salt etc has got underneath & started the corrosion process.
I think it's well documented that diamond cut alloys are hard work & once the surface lacquer is broken is only going to go one way. I've had a A Class Merc last & before that a Seat Leon, both with diamond cut alloys both with corrosion issues.
My GTI is a Dec 17 plate so did consider approaching the dealer about them but experience tells me they will just weasel out of any claim.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2019, 08:59 »
Wouldn't go black for Brescia. What about shadow chrome? Saw a thread on Pretorias in that finish and they look great. Could be an option? Can't find the link now but think Lepsons do shadow chrome.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey