Author Topic: Adi's GTD  (Read 8397 times)

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Adi's GTD
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2011, 15:43 »
It'l soon be a tractor thats as quick as a 16v while running on veg oil  :grin:

lol i like the idea of a GTD or maybe a 1.9 PD powered mk2 but allegedly its a ball-ache of a conversion :sick: 

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2011, 22:22 »
I was seriously considering one of these a little ago.like you say, considering their age they're decent usable motors with scope for tweaking.

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2011, 09:51 »
Its so worth it when you can run it on veg oil (as long as you can get it from a wholesalers in bulk a lot cheaper than diesel), insurance is cheaper than a GTI too. Tbh it puts more of a smile on my face than my GL did  :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2011, 17:56 »
Its so worth it when you can run it on veg oil (as long as you can get it from a wholesalers in bulk a lot cheaper than diesel), insurance is cheaper than a GTI too. Tbh it puts more of a smile on my face than my GL did  :grin:

Veg oil... the best oil is rapeseed as it has less water in it, even better is filtered used oil as there is no water in it... When I was in my early 20's I ran a pug 405 TDI on it with 10% diesel and it was fine.... However I had less cares in the world then so don't get busted unless you plan declaring it.. the only reason it's cheap is because you're paying tax on food rather than fuel.

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2011, 10:34 »
As far as I'm aware theres nothing illegal about running a car on veg oil, as the tax has been paid (unlike running it on red diesel). Up to now I've been using filtered used veg oil out of our deep fat fryer, it doesn't miss a beat and smells slightly like a chippy, but thats probably because it has more diesel in it than veg oil at the mo. Is rapeseed oil cheap? And if so where can I get some? I'm always looking for a cheaper way of running it  :cool:

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2011, 10:37 »
Not updated this in a while so here goes...

A window got smashed due to thieving scum

Replaced

A friend gave me a retro period CD player

Then some tuning happened. I shimmed the main spring in the governor 4mm, and ended up with a right nightmare getting the throttle lever back on the right spline on the governor shaft. I've got it set up OK, but I'm convinced its got more to give as my max fuel screw still has 6 threads left to go in, but for the time being I'm happy, it peaks at 24psi and goes very well indeed. And the turbo noise is EPIC!
My idle spring-less governor  :o

Red striped grille

A random shot of the intercooler, soon to be moved to the front of the radiator

My MBC

Also got bored, so I fitted the worlds favourite catch can  :D

Then a few days ago I painted a red stripe on the 4 lamp grille and gave it a bit of a change, and stuck on some awesome stickers!

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2011, 11:20 »
nice update  :cool:

You dont sound annoyed at the break-in? i'd be livid!

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2011, 11:50 »
Believe me I was! The replacement window only cost me a fiver and I'm lucky my roof bars are on, they tried bending the top corner of the passenger side door out but obviously couldn't get their fingers in to pull it out enough cuz the roof bars mount there. Cheaper to replace a broken quarterlight than to replace a whole door!

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 03 May 2011, 09:37 »
Don't you mean "WE" shimmed your dirty oil burning pumps governor! :grin:

Likin the new stickers btw :laugh:

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 03 May 2011, 12:08 »
OK, we did it, but I did all the setting up of the pump and boost  :cool:

New stickers are awesome  :wink: