Author Topic: Adi's GTD  (Read 8413 times)

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Adi's GTD
« on: 30 March 2011, 15:14 »
Well some of you are aware that I sold my GL project to move onto something new. This is my 9th mk2 now, and it's my 1st diesel one. This came up at the right price (those who know me will know it wasn't a lot), come with Tax till end of July and MOT till the end of September, and 218k on it. It drives spot on, is on early hottuning coilovers, and its true what they say, the earlier ones are a much nicer ride, it doesn't crash and knock your teeth out, the ride is actually superb! It has remote central locking, red stripe 90 spec GTI interior, and surprisingly the intercooler has ALL its plastic shrouds :)
3 things broke on the ride home though, a fuel tank strap, the backbox fell apart, and a plastic arch trim nearly went flying! I've since screwed on the arch trim, removed the backbox and I'm picking up a gti one tonight, and removed the hanging tank strap. Only other thing to sort is the rev counter, as the wire has broken off the alternator. This is how I got it...

Then today it went down another inch or so and I've red striped the bumpers. You may notice its missing a backbox, I took it off today cuz it was falling apart, GTI one will be on it tomorrow. Also picking up a mk3 shift rod and small splitter on sunday, and hopefully new wheels this weekend. Heres how it looks now...

The shell is fairly rusty and IMO some bits aren't really worth repairing, so when the MOT runs out I may look into buying a cheap GTI with no engine and re-shell it :)

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Re: Adi's GTD
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2011, 15:16 »
New face, front splitter, new lows, new exhaust, mk3 shift rod fitted and I found these under the boot carpet :)

And how it looks now, with my roof bars I kept from the GL, oh and I red-striped the bumpers, but ran out of vinyl to do the grille  :sad:

« Last Edit: 30 March 2011, 15:20 by tsr_adi »

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2011, 22:09 »
I remember my GTD, was a good little car. With your GTI exhaust, did you mod it to fit? I had to angle grind and reweld to align the centre section to the GTi box. Pretty straight forward. 

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2011, 22:19 »
Yea, it was a nightmare cuz I haven't got a welder, the over axle pipe where they normally have a box meets the backbox at a totally different angle doesn't it! I fitted a straight through centre pipe I had lying around and a gti over axle box with the gti backbox so it all fit OK and kept 2 boxes instead of 3. The GTD is an excellent car for a stone age TD lump, can't believe I didn't own one sooner!

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2011, 22:23 »
Yep, that's the issue I had when I first looked at it I had a screaming hangover! So left it and done it in the workshop at my old work. The power kick when the turbo kicks in is impressive, pretty good given the age of it.

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2011, 22:27 »
I can't wait to get an EGT and boost guage so I can have a proper play with it, I expect big power gains from what I've read on the vwdiesel.net forum. I've adjusted the max fuel screw slightly and removed the trumpet from the airbox and the "whooooshhh" it makes on boost makes me smile  :grin: I've also blocked the Overboost protector on the inlet ready for when I do wind the boost up. My mate drove it before I adjusted the fuel screw and he said it feels quicker than his standard 8v gti! Not bad for a 70bhp motor, but I reckon the torque is deceiving...

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2011, 23:25 »
Love the numberplate  :smiley:

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2011, 15:17 »
Quite a bit has happened on this, I've fitted a boost guage where the drivers side air vent is, fitted a manual boost controller, I've worked out how I'm going to fit the intercooler in front of the radiator on the passenger side, just need to source 2 more bits of pipework, its now running 17psi peak, which is as much as I can run on a standard HG. The pump has been tweaked slightly but now its running high boost its not getting enough fuel, so next week I'm going to shim the governor so it gets all the fuel it needs and it should be pretty lively  :cool: I've also lowered it another 20mm.

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2011, 15:37 »
nice tractor!  :cool:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2011, 15:39 »
It'l soon be a tractor thats as quick as a 16v while running on veg oil  :grin: