Author Topic: 1.8 8v gti cab egine probs, please help  (Read 1692 times)

Offline stubbsy

• Not said much yet
1.8 8v gti cab egine probs, please help
« on: 22 June 2004, 20:09 »
hi
when i accellerate and go above 3k revs my car cuts out for a short moment and then kicks back in. it seems to be getting gradually worse. it is due a service could it be that its just the spark plugs need replacing or is it alot worse? theres also a wering sound which has got louder and sounds like its comming from underneath me. it seems to get louder when i brake and slow down. anybody got any ideas on this too??

any help greatly appreciated  :(

Offline hairyarse

• GTI forum regular
Re:1.8 8v gti cab egine probs, please help
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2004, 17:51 »
Could be a service item so not expensive. Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?Perhaps when fuel is on higher demand - i.e. your high revs - a clogged filter could mean the engine is being starved.

Ref the noise - is it all the time? Could be your fuel pump?

Has filler neck ever been replaced - or does it need doing - if it's rusty could have crap in the tank which would be associated with your problems.

Hope this is some help

Cheers

Dinky

« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2004, 18:26 »
Hey,
Mines just started doin this-with the engine soundin louder as i try and accelerate.I have just done a service on mine-the usual-sparks,dizzy,air/oil/fuel filter,oil changeso not too sure if that is ur cause!
ive been recommended to check for air leaks n fuel delivery-hows ur idle n ur fuel comsuption?

Dinky  :-*

kniterider

« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2004, 18:44 »
hmm noise could be a wheel bearing on its way out, youll tend to find if you dip the clutch and 'roll' then if you can hear it and it slows down with the car then the noise 'speeds' up as you go faster thats prob what it is, often if its the front wheel bearings wearing youll here a increase/decrease pending on wether you take a left/right hand bend, thats for your noise (well it think) as for your engine prob im not 100% sure but it could be a fuel starvation problem? either fuel filter wants changing or maybe you have the prob metioned earlier with crud in the tank!!

Gaz 8)

Offline stubbsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2004, 21:04 »
thanks people, been a big help will get it serviced asap. its overdue a service by 4k miles, not due to me but previous owner, ive had the car 3 weeks now. the fuel filler surround is a little rusty as to weather he neck is im not too sure.

what is it with club gti as no-one ever replies to any of my posts :-X