Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1001 times)

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
Help!
« on: 01 September 2008, 22:55 »
Hi peeps. Ive got a 95 Gti 8 valve with 70k on it. It had an ever so slight miss fire when i got it but wasn't enough to notice any difference in drive etc. Only noticeable on idle. It has now developed a more serious fault. On first start up it won't idle atol. Only after a short drive (500 yards) it idles but not very well. It runs really lumpy and is noticeable when driving. It idles not bad but not perfect after a few miles. Also fuel consumption is high. I put plugs, leads, dizzie cap and arm on it and no change.
Then it fixed itself for a day???? And has now went back to doing it again.

Any idea? Please help! I don't want to start randomly replacing parts.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2008, 23:02 »

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2008, 23:29 »
That topic seems really for cars that are cutting out which mine is not doing, thanks anyway. This ecu relay sounds like a common fault but would it cause the car just to run ruff but not cut out under acceleration etc?

Offline lee_lee08

• GTI forum regular
  • 1996 GTI 8v
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2008, 23:42 »
tried cleaning the TB?

Offline beccasmk3gti

• Here all the time
  • golf mk3 gti and a mk3 vr6 182bhp and 223nm
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2008, 07:02 »
i would say the icv is sticking (idle control valve) clean it with throttle body with carb cleaner and see if this helps it.

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2008, 17:49 »
Cleaned throttle body today, no change really.
Had my friend ex Vw mechanic to look at it and put it on diagnostics. It came up with a Speed sensor fault. He thinks there is a possibility that the distributor needs manually adjusted while connected to the vag diagnostics and set-up correctly. He wreckons this can be put out after timing belts have been done. Does this ring any bells with anybody? He can't quite remember how to do it as he has no manuals for the computer as he no longer works for vw.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2008, 18:06 by zoomered »

Offline Jogort

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2008, 19:49 »
The distributor & hall sesnor can be set using vagcom, it needs set at the correct position.
Using vagcom connect to the engine module then choose block measure
Select number 7 and try and get the 1st 2 readings within their required parameters which are shown below the box.
I think the first is something like 52-61 and 2nd is 1

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2008, 21:02 »
You da man! Thats exactly the info we were after!! Is there any way you could give us the definate correct parameters as we are using a VAG 1552 Diagnostic comp not VAG-COM and the 1552 does not display block values needed, only current. They are in the manual that is no more!! Thanks a million!