Author Topic: Wheel Re-furb  (Read 829 times)

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
Wheel Re-furb
« on: 11 January 2009, 13:57 »
Anybody know the deal with taking BBS Split rims apart? Do you need new seals, special tools?...... Anybody done it? Thanks

Offline avengedslayer

• I live here
Re: Wheel Re-furb
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2009, 14:29 »
yea i read in pvw that you need to re seal the splits and apperentely they are pretty toughth to take apart but you can use a car jack to split them apart without damaging the rims :smiley:

Offline BigDaveC

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2009, 14:41 »
i've done it with a set od bbs rx 2's. They can be a real b1tch to seperate especially if you round the heads off. If this happens, you are pretty much f**ked ! The threads will usually not shift, and they have to be re-drilled out by and engineer and re-threaded as the bolts are made from very tough metal. You will also need a new set of bbs bolts which are expensive !

Buy a set that don't look corroded !!

An 8mm spline bit is needed and a torque bar. Not for the faint hearted. :laugh:
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 14:43 by BigDaveC »

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2009, 15:49 »
I'll let you know how it goes :grin:......................... :cry:

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2009, 20:58 »
make sure you let the bolts soak over night with some wd40 on it otherwise they wont move. Also make sure you have the right tool for taking them out or you will f**k them up. once they are all out should split quite easy with a tap with a lump hammer.