Author Topic: car temp  (Read 3130 times)

Offline lamplighter

• Not said much yet
car temp
« on: 30 November 2016, 21:23 »
Hello I'm new to the mk5 scene just got my first mk5 gti dsg on a 57 plate 29k on the clock  big change for me from my mk4 150 gti. I had the cambelt and pump done as the previous owner has never had it done in his words haven't got to 40k yet LOL.

My question is that the car now takes a long time to get to 90 degree's when i mean a long time about 5 miles which i don't think is normal as my old mk4 warmed up very quickly with in a mile and a half  i popped down to my local TPS today to get a temp sensor and new seal  is there any pit falls in changing the sensor on the mk5  as the mk4 was very easy to do .is there  any thing else i should be looking for that might cause this problem i know the thermostat is a pitta of a job on the mk5 so hope i don't have to change that.

Feedback would be great

Lamps     

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
Re: car temp
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2016, 22:45 »
Remember its not summer at the moment, my mk6 takes 5/6 miles or so of open road to reach 90° at the moment.

I dont know but i would this a 200 bhp mk5 gti would have a more efficient radiator than a 150 bhp mk4 gti.

Sounds like it heats up about the same as my mk6 does.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2016, 06:22 »
5 miles to get to 90?
I'd say that is perfectly normal, especially in current temperatures. Assuming you don't completely gun the thing into the redline it just takes longer than older cars.
A mk5 with 200hp is just an awful lot more efficient that the predecessor. The radiator should not come into play at all until around near the 90 mark anyway.

Also the mk4 showed 90 in the dash when actual temperature is from around 75 to 105 degrees. So I would not entirely trust the gauge anyway. This is still the same in the mk5 since lots of motorists are convinced it should always be 90 - when it rarely ever is.
You could do a party trick in my old mk3: Sat at the lights after driving it for 15 miles, turned the heater on full hot and fan up to 4..... and could watch coolant temperature go down from 85 (pre-liar speedo) to 70 in under a minute, then again it was -23 degrees...

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline olioli2345

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2016, 08:59 »
Hello! Just joined this forum to ask this exact question.

I too, recently purchased a mk5 gti. Just had cambelt/waterpump and the coolant temperature sensor done. I let the car idle this morning (around 2 degrees celcius here), and the needle didn't move. It only started to move when I got to work (5ish mile drive) and at that point had only moved 5ish degrees.

Is this also normal?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2016, 09:01 »
That doesnt seem normal. Maybe thermostat is stuck open. Just had to do my passat because it wouldnt move hardly

Offline olioli2345

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2016, 09:45 »
That doesnt seem normal. Maybe thermostat is stuck open. Just had to do my passat because it wouldnt move hardly

Mine does move, 20+ mins ish of driving and it'll start to climb, eventually getting to 90. What're the downfalls of the thermostat sticking open?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2016, 13:39 »
Mine use to be like that. Then eventually only went to about 80 on gauge then take ages to get to 90 and if driving gentle enough would drop back down.
New thermostat in and it takes 5 mins  to get to 90

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2016, 20:36 »
(5ish mile drive) and at that point had only moved 5ish degrees.

Is this also normal?

5 mile drive, how would it get warm? Assume you had heater on full too?
55 degrees seems reasonable to me at 2 degC outside temperature. The mk5 has an electronically controlled thermostat, if it 'sticks' open the ECU will throw a fault code. They aren't quite the same as sh!tty old wax thermostats you got in the early 90s.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline lamplighter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2016, 16:18 »
Thank you all for your input  i went to tps on Thursday got my self a new temp sensor and only managed to change it today Saturday as i had a mishap on the way home from work Thursday night white van man on wrong side of the road down the lanes near where i live shoved me into a ditch new wheel and Tyre,(now skint)  now the sensor is changed the temp came up quickly so better than before the change but now need some cold mornings to really see.

Lamps