Author Topic: Shed-esque Golf2 Syncro  (Read 146409 times)

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
Re: Golf2 Syncro 2.0i 8V crossflow running on Megasquirt
« Reply #310 on: 18 March 2010, 20:17 »
AS DH said for what were doing atm there is no point in haveing multi maps,  sopose if your tight you choudl do one for 97 ron on the track and one for 95 on the road...

You'd need pretty decent knock sensing for this though, like the modern BMW systems... from my experience the knock sensors on both my Mk2s were/are, shall we say basic... although I suppose it could be the slow stock ecu to blame...  :grin: I ended up using a dyno and tickled the dizzy forward then back a little till I had no pinking on my G60.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #311 on: 18 March 2010, 23:12 »
it's going to get knock senseing,  the PCB's for the basic knock modules has just arrived so it may be a littel while before it's up running and trusted.
my PIC based desing has quite a lot of potential and is very good at removeing engine noise as it's programmed to only listen for knock at set intervals in the cycle ( yup it has input from cranck sensor ) and it's meant recognise and ignore some signals at exact points. so it should be abel to pick up very very light knock  :smiley:  problem is it's not quite optimised yet and there are no £'s atm to throw at developing somethign that i'll make about 5 off. 

idealy i want to get a working ION sensing board up and running  :cool:  no need for dyno then
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #312 on: 19 March 2010, 07:50 »
You what?  :huh: :shocked:  :huh:

At least someone knows wtf they're doing here  :laugh:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Jimp

• I live here
« Reply #313 on: 19 March 2010, 09:46 »
Danny/DH, how hard was it to map the car using Megasquirt? I'm working on a side project at the moment that will use Megasquirt for mapping for the supercharger and thought I'd have a go at mapping it myself since I work with sensors, calibration, control systems, etc anyway. Any info at all would be great  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 19 March 2010, 09:51 by Jimp »
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #314 on: 19 March 2010, 11:39 »
If you've got skilz with electrical dragons and a reasonable understanding of what you're aiming for then it shouldn't be too hard.

BUT

You need to read up plenty and understand what you're trying to achieve with the parameters you're setting.  Danny, for instance actually has an OBD wired into the palm of one of his hands, concealed by a flap of skin and if he holds a sparkplug lead his eyes stobe the same as a timing gun among other apparently quite natural mutations.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #315 on: 19 March 2010, 13:05 »
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Jimp

• I live here
« Reply #316 on: 20 March 2010, 14:15 »
If you've got skilz with electrical dragons and a reasonable understanding of what you're aiming for then it shouldn't be too hard.

BUT

You need to read up plenty and understand what you're trying to achieve with the parameters you're setting.  Danny, for instance actually has an OBD wired into the palm of one of his hands, concealed by a flap of skin and if he holds a sparkplug lead his eyes stobe the same as a timing gun among other apparently quite natural mutations.
Electrical issues I'm grand with. I took a look at the program for setting up Megasquirt and all the paramters and so on are things I'm familiar with which was a relief  :wink: Just need to figure out how it all comes together! Did you guys map it from scratch or did you load values from the existing ECU and tweak it from there?
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #317 on: 20 March 2010, 17:53 »
not mapped it properly yet

fuel is easy,  just need a wideband and an idea of what you want, spark is harder
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #318 on: 27 March 2010, 09:12 »
Lighting and power installed in lower barn (which has a non-leaking roof).  Cracking on with the MS today and tomorrow.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #319 on: 27 March 2010, 23:20 »