Author Topic: Shed-esque Golf2 Syncro  (Read 145083 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Getting not-so-cheap-assed Golf2 Syncro track toy.
« Reply #250 on: 03 January 2010, 00:49 »
are the seats held in with sticky tape or something though?  :huh:

Something about the position seems to accentuate the seat movement.  Strangely no one's commented on it.  To be fair the driver's seat does have fat knackers like DannyP and I sitting in it, so it puts up with a fair quantity of abuse.

The passenger seat also gets its fair share of ballast loaded on it.

For reference they're Scirocco seats so aren't exactly in the first flush of yoof.

Replacements are in the container, awaiting fitment, but need me to step up to another £700ish of cage and seat bars before I can fit them properly.

Is that a head unit you could remove to save weight? tsk tsk.

I'd take it out, but the prospect of the odd 8 hour drive to somewhere in Europe, with no music terrifies me.  Until I've proved I'll always trailer out there, the head unit and front speakers stay.  Beat Connection by LCD Soundsystem still gives me sweaty palms after some v-max naughtiness on the E40 in May 2008.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #251 on: 03 January 2010, 10:07 »
make yourself some thin chocks and wedge them down the seat runners, makes the seats nice and solid  :wink:

what cage are you eyeing up that costs £700?  :shocked:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #252 on: 03 January 2010, 10:19 »
Custom Cages Multipoint

Plus seat mounting bars, plus harness bars, plus gas, plus steel to make the sill plates, plus paint, plus all the other things I'm not expecting to buy which I will.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #253 on: 03 January 2010, 10:25 »
im being a tight bastard and buying one of the core kits and adding tubes to it  :grin: Think i've worked it out to cost £400ish all in, but will have to profile lots of tubes

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #254 on: 03 January 2010, 14:50 »
Video being processed on Youthingy right now.  Here.  DannyP at the helm.

Nice vid, lovin Danny's casual driving style. It's like he's gone out for a potter on a sunday afternoon, ha ha.

nick

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #255 on: 23 February 2010, 12:35 »
Not much of an update right now, but the inlet manifold and an ABF throttlebody left bound for Futbus yesterday morning.  This is in preparation for a second attack on the Megasquirt front, after the first abortive attempt.

The first attempt failed because we were trying to ensure the car could be swapped back to the old management system.  This time it's sh*t or bust.

The ABF body is larger than the OEM ABA body.  The one which is on there at the moment is (I think) a 2E body, which has the same bolt spacings as the ABA.  I jerry-rigged this because where the car has been running Digifant II it needed closed throttle and wide-open throttle switches, not a throttle position sensor.

So, by switching to the ABF body we should see more air through the body and we get a TPS, which is what we want for Megasquirt.  We also delete the swinging-door MAF sensor, which is on the airbox.  This should all add up to more air through the system, so more power.

Of course, to actually liberate this extra power we need proper management - I have the Megasquirt built up and ready and a wide-band lambda box and sensor on the shelf, awaiting fitment.

As all this involves dragons and other mythical (and electrically powered) monsters I need a tamer of such black magic, so all of this should come together when the good Doctor P visits in a weekend or two's time.

MS should make the car a lot better to drive.  The map we've got on it is supposed to be for a heavily breathed on 8v, but the crossflow head (which has been worked on, remember) seems to flow not only more air, but flow it very differently to the counterflow. 

As I think mentioned before I've been swapping fuel pressure regs, depending on whether I've been on road, or on track.  With a 3 bar reg it leans out over 5k, with the 4 bar reg it has a lumpier (rich) idle, pulls well, but it goes flat at about 4.5k (we think it's running too rich at that point) and then picks up again just under 5k and throws itself violently at past the red line.

Once this is done I need to see whether the Inland Revenue return enough of last year's tax at the end of March to facilitate cage fitting before April 19th.  If that doesn't happen there won't be any rush as times is tight and the call of the (cheap as chips) off road trialing circuit is loud again.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #256 on: 04 March 2010, 23:29 »
The closer it gets, the more I'm going to HAVE to cage it before the event..... provided I can scrape together the small change needed for a proper cage in the next weekish.

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #257 on: 05 March 2010, 21:08 »
Stop messing about and get that cage in!!

Pics needed after fitting :smiley:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #258 on: 05 March 2010, 21:14 »
Hopefully you'll see the gains we were discussing earlier, hopefully more  :cool:

Sounds like you lot are going to have an ace time over there, one day I'll make it there...
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #259 on: 05 March 2010, 21:23 »
Stop messing about and get that cage in!!

Why, d'ya want a ride in a real performance car?  :grin:

Just trying to find someone who gives a f*ck about their products.  Custom Cages I'm not convinced about at the moment.....

Might just buy the CDS pre-formed hoops and 20m of CDS and make it up on the fly.

One of the things pointed out by JJ (links etc in due course) was that the CC set up has a cross-brace in the vertical hoop.  If you're a big, fat knacker like me this puts the cross-brace where the bucket seat-back should be.  Looks like we'll have the cross-bracing in the rear diagonal hoop, as well as the harness bars.  I'm going to have to see how things go as to whether I pick up the front turrets on this run, or whether that's a later mod to the set up, after I fully seam it up (whenever that is).

Tempted to whip the front wings off, too, but I'm nervous about the amount of remedial work that might uncover when time's a bit tight already!!

May whip the dash out tomorrow, in prep..... and start getting the engine bay wiring ready for the MS install.