Author Topic: Nearly got side swiped - vid  (Read 2967 times)

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
Re: Nearly got side swiped - vid
« Reply #20 on: 06 April 2014, 09:28 »
shouldnt have been undertaking

Exactly
Sorry mate, IMO YOU were in the wrong
« Last Edit: 06 April 2014, 09:30 by mwad gti »
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #21 on: 06 April 2014, 13:22 »
Shouldav just blasted past him tbh :grin: under taking is just stupid. Some people dont bother checking their left side mirror and just pull in. Count yourself lucky
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Online Nino

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2014, 06:49 »
I have to say undertaking is wrong BUT i must point out that there are roads/motorways were undertaking happens because you cannot help it. We all know that undertaking is agaisnt the law however it also states that if for example your in the slow lane doing the speed limit and the person to the lane on your right is doing 10-20 mph under the speed limit and you do not have the means to move into the overtaking lane then you can undertake. Yes i think in this occasion both drivers were in the wrong here
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 11 April 2014, 11:43 »
It is not illegal to undertake if you are travelling the speed limit.

You was not in the wrong at!

You are doing nothing wrong! You're traveling the speed limit, you're in the right lane because you are exiting.  The other vehicle should of indicated for a lot longer time before he maneuvered.  He has windows and should have looked over his shoulder to check his blind spot!

At this moment in time im trying to become a police officer and I do want to be a traffic officer. Trust me by law you are doing nothing wrong if what you say is true!

If that vehicle was to have had a collision with you, he would be in the wrong and his insurance would have to pay out. No questions or argument!  And would be even easier with that video evidence.   :wink:

Have a nice day!

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 11 April 2014, 11:50 »
I have to say undertaking is wrong BUT i must point out that there are roads/motorways were undertaking happens because you cannot help it. We all know that undertaking is agaisnt the law however it also states that if for example your in the slow lane doing the speed limit and the person to the lane on your right is doing 10-20 mph under the speed limit and you do not have the means to move into the overtaking lane then you can undertake. Yes i think in this occasion both drivers were in the wrong here

No such thing as "the slow lane" there is only overtaking lanes.
Speed limit on dual carriageway/motorway is 70mph. The roads are 2/3/4 lanes to meet the demands of traffic.

You can do 70mph in any lane. If that lane happens to be the left and you undertake a slower moving vehicle that is a over taking lane then there is no law saying you cant do that and the slower moving vehicle should move over.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #25 on: 11 April 2014, 16:56 »
Why were you even filming??

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 14 April 2014, 12:54 »
Why were you even filming??

assume its one of those dash cams for evidence if someone ever crashes into you

Offline mdianuk

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 14 April 2014, 13:49 »
If an accident had happened and you showed the footage, I think you'd end up being blamed. Yes you joined, the speeds were similar, but then you accelerated slightly to pull along side for an undertake where you should have actually overtaken instead. You may have been coming off at that junction, but the lines (at that time) didn't indicate a total separation (i.e. solid line or closer together) so has to be treated like a normal 3 lane motorway. Personally would have hung back and either waited, or hung back, over took and back in. Never remain in a blind spot or next to the lorry if you can help it. Having said all that, we've all done similar and fortunately you both were quick enough to react.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2014, 13:52 by mdianuk »

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #28 on: 14 April 2014, 18:45 »
To be fair, if you were in a proper car you'd have arrived at your destination long before this incident unfolded. :grin:

And regardless off what the law says, which most are unaware of, common sense dictates it's not wise to undertake at all. Too much of a risk.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0