Author Topic: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.  (Read 11876 times)

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
Re: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2018, 20:24 »
How much did your R cost 3 years ago? I'm sure they were expensive then, not sure why it's a surprise now. I think the 7.5 R is good value for what you get.
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2018, 23:19 »
From 1998 for all your inflation enthusiasts.

An "R" cost £20,000 versus £32,000-ish today

If you spent an arm and leg over those 20 years to keep it nice, then expect to get about £4000 back

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808199651519

Are they MK4 prices there?

Not really comparing apples with apples. The VR6/R32 were a lot more expensive than the GTI of the same era because they had a V6 engine as well as the haldex set-up, as opposed to now where it's using a very similar engine to the GTI with the same displacement, but with a bigger turbo and injectors (a few other small differences i'm sure), and the haldex. A better comparison of VW inflation is 2.0GTI to 2.0GTI.

The R is basically a GTI PP that's had a remap and half of the £1100 cost of a haldex unit (the price differential Audi change between quattro and non-quattro variants of the same car on the A3) offset by not having the PP's diff - for that reason, the MK7 R is relatively little more than the GTI compared to the VR6/R32 of old.

To be honest, the MK7 GTI looks very expensive compared to the outgoing MK5 price, but compare MK5 to MK6 and MK6 to MK7 and you'll see that it was the introduction of the MK6 where VW really hiked the prices up, MK7 came in with a ton of extra tech and was only a few hundred quid more than the outgoing MK6 RRP.

The MK6 added about £200 of equipment over the MK5, saved a lot of assembly time and cost by introducing a massively simplified multilink rear suspension, and cost about £4k more. It was a move that pushed me to the well equipped Scirocco, as it looked a steal next to the MK6 Golf.

Now all the lease specials have left the leasers hands and been resold, R used prices are looking pretty solid again - I was surprised to see 15 Reg manual Rs going for between £21k and £22k at most franchised dealerships - was expecting it to be more in the region of £18k. On that basis, i'm hoping to get £16-17k for mine in p/x next march if I do chop it in for the wife to have a Polo GTI+, when i'm presuming it will have depreciated by less than £2k at retail between now and then.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2018, 23:55 »
Just think how much a Golf will cost in another 10 years!  :laugh:

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 14 October 2018, 00:05 »
How much did your R cost 3 years ago? I'm sure they were expensive then, not sure why it's a surprise now. I think the 7.5 R is good value for what you get.

Exactly, I personally am fed up with this ‘only a Golf’ garbage. It’s way better than the competition and has been virtually from day one, and yet folks still whinge about the price. Fair enough if list meant list, but with 15 to 18% discounts it is good value.
That the VW brand is trusted  and sells in such numbers still, after all its negative press tells you how well it’s thought of.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 14 October 2018, 08:39 »
If you adjust for inflation, £20k in 1998 is roughly equivalent to around £34.5k today.

When you consider the advances in performance and technology of the cars, it almost makes the new cars look good value? :)

Thanks for the maths, so not that bad after all!

Plus you've gone from 174 to 300bhp!
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 14 October 2018, 08:42 »
From 1998 for all your inflation enthusiasts.

An "R" cost £20,000 versus £32,000-ish today

If you spent an arm and leg over those 20 years to keep it nice, then expect to get about £4000 back

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808199651519

Are they MK4 prices there?

1998 is the venerable MK3!

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 14 October 2018, 08:52 »

Now all the lease specials have left the leasers hands and been resold, R used prices are looking pretty solid again - I was surprised to see 15 Reg manual Rs going for between £21k and £22k at most franchised dealerships - was expecting it to be more in the region of £18k. On that basis, i'm hoping to get £16-17k for mine in p/x next march if I do chop it in for the wife to have a Polo GTI+, when i'm presuming it will have depreciated by less than £2k at retail between now and then.

In my area they are trending more to the 18k value

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 14 October 2018, 10:21 »
The only reason anyone buys an A3, 1 Series or A Class over a performance Golf is for the badge. I looked into an A3 Sport/S Line when VW stopped the standard GTI but when you compare them side by side the Golf is such better value. The motoring press would say A3 has better build quality - there might be some truth in that but not alot of difference.

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 14 October 2018, 10:34 »
The "only a Golf" comment could equally be applied to "only a Focus" or whatever as the price of the cars outstrip people's ability to buy them new. These were traditionally cars for people on average wages but they are increasingly becoming cars for the most well heeled in society. As I said, it's a shame, as I have been a long term customer of VW but they have now lost me as a new car customer. I can no longer afford them.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 14 October 2018, 11:15 »
Bloke at work has just got a 2.0tdi A5 and he thinks it's the dogs bollocks(it's not). He couldn't believe how much I told him I bought my Golf for and he said "you could've got an Audi or a Merc for that"