Author Topic: Auto express tyre test 2018  (Read 8118 times)

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
Re: Auto express tyre test 2018
« Reply #30 on: 19 July 2018, 14:10 »
I wore my fronts out in 10k......  :grin:

Not trying hard enough Jim, my front P-Zero's lasted 6K...  :laugh:

Much prefer the PS4S's. :smiley:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline Patagonian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 20 July 2018, 07:42 »
Changed out my Bridgestones last week after 13000 miles, 2 still had another 7 or 8k in them but unfortunately a nail through the edge made one useless.
Went for the PS4s from Costco for £426 but got a £50 voucher in return - I was thinking of spending that on some Levi's but apparently it's going on food for this weekends BBQ  :sad:
The tyre fitters were raving about how good the PS4s are and said you can feel the difference in the sidewalls when fitting them. They both had PS4s fitted to their own cars.
First thing i noticed is the tyre noise - its gone!
They feel good when turning in but I haven't done many miles yet and obviously can't comment on wet weather handling.
I think the diff does mask shortcomings of the Bridgestones - I could hear (more than feel) the tyres slipping in the wet when in the lower gears before and that had to be down to the diff.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 20 July 2018, 08:20 »
Changed out my Bridgestones last week after 13000 miles, 2 still had another 7 or 8k in them but unfortunately a nail through the edge made one useless.
Went for the PS4s from Costco for £426 but got a £50 voucher in return - I was thinking of spending that on some Levi's but apparently it's going on food for this weekends BBQ  :sad:
The tyre fitters were raving about how good the PS4s are and said you can feel the difference in the sidewalls when fitting them. They both had PS4s fitted to their own cars.
They feel good when turning in but I haven't done many miles yet and obviously can't comment on wet weather handling.
I think the diff does mask shortcomings of the Bridgestones - I could hear (more than feel) the tyres slipping in the wet when in the lower gears before and that had to be down to the diff.

Is that PS4S  or PS4's (Disclaimer: incorrect grammar for explanatory purposes only  :wink:).

I got horrid axle tramp a couple of times on very moderate throttle starts in the wet on the S001s, but none since changing to PS4.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 20 July 2018, 10:00 »
What about new cars? Do VW offer to sell you both sets of tyres/wheels and if you don't choose both do you get the current season fitted?

My understanding was that with a new reg. you got whatever the brochure stated, the all steel black rims and winter tyres were an extra from the dealer.
Rarely go the Germany these days or I would ask.
You could always 'surf it' as see?

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 20 July 2018, 19:51 »
I've worked in the tyre industry for over 15yrs. You'd be amazed at the homoligation process for a tyre to get OE approval.

Over 100 scientists and technicians fine tuning the characteristics required by the vehicle maker. There will be circa 50 different performance criteria a tyre must achieve.

Some car makers put more importance on certain criteria than others. Benz for example place a high importance of low noise (suits the ethos of their brand) BMW prefer to focus on grip and steering feel (Again, suits their "ultimate driving machine" ethos)

As someone else pointed out, not all climates are like ours. And not all drivers expect the same from a tyre.

But don't assume that it's a simple price based decision as to who gets the OE appoval. Otherwise they'd all come fitted with linglong or which ever chinese budget tyre was available on the day.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 20 July 2018, 21:24 »

Is that PS4S  or PS4's (Disclaimer: incorrect grammar for explanatory purposes only  :wink:).

I got horrid axle tramp a couple of times on very moderate throttle starts in the wet on the S001s, but none since changing to PS4.

I looked in Costco tyre dept a few weeks ago(anticipating getting Bridgestones and wondering how much a set of PSS/PS4 or PS4S will cost. For the prices seen i'd say £106.50 a corner= PS4 with PSS at around £120 and PS4S at around £150 a corner for 18".
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 20 July 2018, 21:38 »

If anyone is happy enough with their Bridgestones, I may have a brand new set of 18"ers coming my way. I have a Polo GTI+ on 18" Brescia wheels that's about 3 weeks away (to replace the wife's A1), and if that comes on Bridgestones, I will swap them out immediately. Any takers at £200 collected for the set? PM me if interested.

The Polo will have 215-40-18 tyres

Aye, you're right. Damn, 215 width much less common in 18", so may actually cost more for tyres than 225/40 R18.

Will 225/40/R18 tyres fit those Polo 18" Brescias? They're 7.5Jx 18, just like the Golf's 18" Parker Alloys which are shod with 225/40 R18 tyres. An extra 5mm width either side shouldn't cause any snagging/rubbing issues, surely? Wondering why VW went with the narrower wheels for the Polo, squeezed into a lower emissions bracket for the effect of the marginally lower rolling resistance?

Update: On Black circles, the 225 wide PS4 is £108, the 215 is £146! :shocked:
« Last Edit: 20 July 2018, 21:51 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Patagonian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 20 July 2018, 22:19 »

I'm obviously going to blame spellchecker/iPad etc but they were PS4's  :whistle:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 21 July 2018, 06:43 »

If anyone is happy enough with their Bridgestones, I may have a brand new set of 18"ers coming my way. I have a Polo GTI+ on 18" Brescia wheels that's about 3 weeks away (to replace the wife's A1), and if that comes on Bridgestones, I will swap them out immediately. Any takers at £200 collected for the set? PM me if interested.

The Polo will have 215-40-18 tyres

Aye, you're right. Damn, 215 width much less common in 18", so may actually cost more for tyres than 225/40 R18.

You can always advertise them in the ‘for sale’ section on the Polo forum, or keep them and put them back on the car when you sell it if it’s in need of new tyres at the time.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #39 on: 21 July 2018, 08:03 »
I looked in Costco tyre dept a few weeks ago(anticipating getting Bridgestones and wondering how much a set of PSS/PS4 or PS4S will cost. For the prices seen i'd say £106.50 a corner= PS4 with PSS at around £120 and PS4S at around £150 a corner for 18".

I didn't think they made PS4S in 18"? Only the PS4...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC