Author Topic: Auto express tyre test 2018  (Read 8231 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Auto express tyre test 2018
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2018, 15:44 »
When my Bridgestone's eventually :whistle: wear out, I'll certainly be replacing them with another brand, probably Michelin.
Having said that, I am not frivolous enough to simply bin perfectly good tyres to gain a bit more traction when I accelerate hard!
I appreciate that some drivers push considerably harder than others when they drive and some people have more money to burn :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2018, 17:19 »
PP could very well help with traction and the Bridgestones. They aren't a bad tyre but then they are an old design and newer tyres will obviously be better as they are using latest technology.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2018, 17:23 »
As I said, there are better brake pads/discs, better exhausts, better wipers, better seats.... some people change them at some point.

Some people get their car delivered brand new and swap all those parts.

Others wait until the OEM ones wear out then spend their money on better choices at that point.

Until then its a needless expense to achieve marginal benefits - you are driving on the road, not looking for a few tenths around a racetrack.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2018, 21:25 »
Ask the same question about other things on your car... is there a better windscreen manufacturer, wiper blade manufacturer, infotainment manufacturer, brake manufacturer, suspension strut manufacturer.... etc etc VW actually manufacture very little of the parts list that make up 90% of your car... they buy them from people who make sub-components for cars.

Why pick one over the other? If it was Formula 1 it would be because one was better than the others in performance terms. In mass produced road going cars, its good enough and cheaper than the alternatives.

It's a shame that you have to consider replacing some things on day 1 for the car to perform as it should.

Tyres? Anything i've seen as OEM fitment but Bridgestones is fine by me. I've had new VWs come with Pirelli P7s, Contisport 3s, Dunlop SP01s and the dreaded RE050A / S001 variants of the Bridgestone Potenza - only the Bridgestones tramp in the dry with only 40% throttle, and 25% throttle in the wet. You can make do with the Bridgestones, but I doubt there is anyone here that wouldn't pick a different tyre if VW offered the option of paying an extra £50 per car for better rubber. Does anyone deny Bridgestone's rock hard and noisy ride, before we even delve into poor turn-in grip, feel and traction issues causing rampant tramping in non PP GTIs and GTDs? If they have poor grip, they'll also have sub-par stopping abilities (luckily I've never had a close call to know the difference).

It's fine to fit a tyre like that to a car with no torque or power, but why should you have to tolerate crap tyres on a £30k car which leave it well short of realising its potential? You don't have to be chucking a GTI/GTD around a track to realise the Bridgestones' shortcomings vs almost any of the rival brands in the same price/performance bracket when driving lawfully.

Once you wear those everlasting Bridgestones out, 6 months before your next car is on the way (if you change every 3 years), and you get some decent rubber, you'll realise how much better your car would've been the whole time.

Replace a new windscreen? If VW fitted foggy ones or ones which had a crap peripheral vision clarity then yes, it'd be binned. Never had one yet like that, so no need. Some people do insist on VW branded OEM replacements when in reality that Saint Gobain Quartz or Pilkington one is exactly the same as OEM (because they make the OEM ones for VW), but the manufacturer didn't etch the VW stamp on.

New wipers? Certainly, if the OEM ones smear - I have done that before because Valeo ones i've had from the factory have been poor, and the warranty replacements have also smeared. Perhaps the windscreens aren't properly decontaminated at fitment (something an Autoglass tech alluded to when I needed a new windscreen a week into ownership of a MK5 Golf), but Bosch Aerotwins are by far the best out there.

If I keep my R for the long term, it will be getting better rear discs when the time comes to replace, not so much for the performance (which is more than adequate), but one a little less prone to cosmetic hub rust.

If anyone is happy enough with their Bridgestones, I may have a brand new set of 18"ers coming my way. I have a Polo GTI+ on 18" Brescia wheels that's about 3 weeks away (to replace the wife's A1), and if that comes on Bridgestones, I will swap them out immediately. Any takers at £200 collected for the set? PM me if interested.

I have always been a bit of a tight-arse with options on cars (that give very little back at resale time and add significant depreciation vs the basic car), baulking at metallic paint prices (although I do still go for it unless buying a car that suits red - The Golf R doesn't, IMO), and also at optional wheels (although I went for the Prets on the R as the standard Cadiz were so ugly, again IMO). I winced at the prospect of paying out £600 to swap out my RE050A tyres for Michelin PSS, but as soon as I experienced the difference in ride, noise, steering feel and grip, I knew it was money well spent.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 21:30 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2018, 22:11 »
I've got no issues with the Bridgestone's grip wise but I do agree they are very firm and can be loud.
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 18 July 2018, 03:10 »

"......It's fine to fit a tyre like that to a car with no torque or power, but why should you have to tolerate crap tyres on a £30k car which leave it well short of realising its potential? You don't have to be chucking a GTI/GTD around a track to realise the Bridgestones' shortcomings vs almost any of the rival brands in the same price/performance bracket when driving lawfully.

Once you wear those everlasting Bridgestones out, 6 months before your next car is on the way (if you change every 3 years), and you get some decent rubber, you'll realise how much better your car would've been the whole time........ I winced at the prospect of paying out £600 to swap out my RE050A tyres for Michelin PSS, but as soon as I experienced the difference in ride, noise, steering feel and grip, I knew it was money well spent."

Well said, Sir.

Tyres last me 4+ years, so swapping out the Bridgestones from new was a no brainer.  No way was I going to put up with the BS's shortcomings for that length of time.  The other major factor was that I have a tame tyre retailer who does me a good deal when swapping over - it cost me only ~225 pounds to swap all four tyres (This is the third time I've swapped from new for better tyres).

As I've said, I don't drive that hard, but the peace of mind of knowing my tyres are going to give me maximum response and protection in the event of an emergency is well worth the money, IMO.  I've previously had Bridgestones (RE030s) let me down badly in that respect, so I'm not prepared to take the chance again.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 18 July 2018, 06:39 »
Australia should be perfectly fine with your climate for the Bridgestones but if you want to waste money that's entirely up to you. I think most of the problem with Bridgestones is forums like this. One person says they are rubbish then everyone jumps on the wandwagon. A bit like a pedal box, one person says they have a dull throttle response and all of a sudden everyone else does. If the Bridgestone wasn't a safe tyre then it wouldn't be allowed on a car and on actual fact they are an ok tyre.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 18 July 2018, 07:08 »
Australia should be perfectly fine with your climate for the Bridgestones but if you want to waste money that's entirely up to you. I think most of the problem with Bridgestones is forums like this. One person says they are rubbish then everyone jumps on the wandwagon. A bit like a pedal box, one person says they have a dull throttle response and all of a sudden everyone else does. If the Bridgestone wasn't a safe tyre then it wouldn't be allowed on a car and on actual fact they are an ok tyre.

I'm in Hobart, Australia's coldest capital city - similar climate to the UK.  We have lots of cold and wet roads.

I don't consider spending money on better tyres a waste of money.  I had tyres which even on a new car (ie. driven modestly) were breaking traction on take-off in the wet. So I chose better, safer tyres.  I now enjoy my car more.  Plus have peace of mind knowing my braking distances are shorter, I have better aquaplaning resistance, better grip for emergency manoeuvres and I'm safer.  Not to mention the steering is sharper and the car generally more enjoyable to drive.  Hardly a waste of money. But if you're perfectly happy on S001s, good for you.

Suggest you read some reviews on the S001s.  Here's just one to start you off.  Note the date.  They were way off the pace even back then. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-EVO-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm   Bridgestone even stopped submitting the S001 for high performance tyre reviews these past few years - instead providing the Turanza - a touring tyre.  Which says it all, really.

But I get the feeling we're never going to agree on this, so enjoy your S001s  :wink:  I'll continue to enjoy my PS4.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2018, 08:53 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 18 July 2018, 09:29 »
I actually agree with Monkey about paying extra for Contis or PS4's as an option. As an option, I'd take it for sure. At the cost of ~300 quid and then try to find somewhere to out my 99% new BS's.... its not something I would do personally.

As a 20k miles a year driver, my BS's will be gone sooner than most - in fact I've already eaten the OEM fronts and have swapped the rears to the front to use them up.

The BS's last me ~15k on the front but 65k on the rear....

In about November I should be BS free and PS4's for the rest of my time with this GTD. I know it will be much quieter and handle better when I do... but still not worth the hassle on day one.

There is, as others have alluded to, much more in OEM tyre selection than just cost and I'm quite sure that the deal between BS and VW wouldn't allow for other options plus another tyre gives them logistical issues around production too, which costs VW more money. Some people wouldn't grasp just quite how much fine tuning just in time manufacturing contributes towards profits for a car maker. It really is very, very precise and anything which causes them problems will be crushed pretty quickly.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 18 July 2018, 09:47 »

If anyone is happy enough with their Bridgestones, I may have a brand new set of 18"ers coming my way. I have a Polo GTI+ on 18" Brescia wheels that's about 3 weeks away (to replace the wife's A1), and if that comes on Bridgestones, I will swap them out immediately. Any takers at £200 collected for the set? PM me if interested.

The Polo will have 215-40-18 tyres
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.