Author Topic: Can you bring a Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG or Clubsport S to Bruntingthorpe on Thursday?  (Read 5977 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
My lad did a supercar track day recently. We were told when we got there that we could pay an extra £25 to waive the potential £5000 excess should any damage be caused. According to them this was to protect against writing a wheel off running over a kerb, or scuffing the bumper if a cone got nudged, but I got the impression that staining from a squashed fly would result in a complete respray.

Your comment is a bit unrelated to the original topic as you are talking about supercar experience insurance. Having met and chatted with one of the former owners of 6th Gear Experience they pay out of their own pocket for repairs and normally run at a loss for the year but the extra waiver contribute towards things. IIRC he said damage repairs were about £250k a year.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline clubsport

• I live here
I have driven quite a few cars at Bruntingthorpe (not my Golf).

It is a big place, there is a lot of room to run cars and if you avoid running close to other cars you should avoid collision and stone chips.

One thing to consider on speed runs is the extent of the braking area as this can change depending on car storage. Braking at 150mph+ can take longer and more distance than you may be used to.

Best to agree beforehand, which way you will go if running against another car at speed just to avoid any confusion! I am sure the organisers will have this covered.

I would think the most likely cause of potential "damage" is likely to be down to tyre wear, but that will be determined by your own enthusiasm and how much fun you have.

Have a good day, look forward to the video.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
My lad did a supercar track day recently. We were told when we got there that we could pay an extra £25 to waive the potential £5000 excess should any damage be caused. According to them this was to protect against writing a wheel off running over a kerb, or scuffing the bumper if a cone got nudged, but I got the impression that staining from a squashed fly would result in a complete respray.

Your comment is a bit unrelated to the original topic as you are talking about supercar experience insurance. Having met and chatted with one of the former owners of 6th Gear Experience they pay out of their own pocket for repairs and normally run at a loss for the year but the extra waiver contribute towards things. IIRC he said damage repairs were about £250k a year.

My point was more about, "Yes sir, you are insured, however..."
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here

My point was more about, "Yes sir, you are insured, however..."

Fair enough, makes sense.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Ryanfsr

• Not said much yet
Thanks for all the advice and feedback everyone!

I've since spoken with volkswizard and the producer of the company creating the film (anyone who's even remotely interested in cars and watches car related Youtube videos can pretty much guess who it is  :wink: ), and been fully assured that everything is as it's been mentioned.

Been assured that the track will be swept and no 'nose to tail' driving will be taking place, so that did put my mind at ease a little.

But hey, I didn't get myself behind the wheel of a GTi just to plod along on my 60 mile a day commute everyday. So if I do get the odd chip, at least I know I had a bloomin' fun time getting it!

So tomorrow the tank is getting brimmed with a full tank of V-Power, and I'm going to try and figure out how this launch control works now the cars past it's break in mileage!  :grin:

Offline Ryanfsr

• Not said much yet
And there's us talking about stone chips.... driving to work this morning - road ahead to myself - passing lorry - SMACK! - 50p sized stone chip on the windscreen 2 inches from the drivers side A-pillar. Pretty sure it'll be a new windscreen job  :angry:

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
And there's us talking about stone chips.... driving to work this morning - road ahead to myself - passing lorry - SMACK! - 50p sized stone chip on the windscreen 2 inches from the drivers side A-pillar. Pretty sure it'll be a new windscreen job  :angry:

That ^   I've driven in several track days with quite a few close encounters, never got a  stone chip there since its a track and it's way better maintained than any public road. On the road though, no matter what I do and how much a distance I keep from lorries etc. I seem to collect 3-4 a year  :angry:

Also, since all that this is about is a couple of standing and rolling start races (not a proper track-day) it doesn't even remotely classify as a "beating". It sounds like a good chance to compare your car against others in a safe, controlled environment, enjoy!

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
Saw the video today! It’s a shame you could have put a 230ps GTI in the mix too to see the difference off the line and rolling.

CarWow are one of my favourite YouTube channels, good going :grin:

https://youtu.be/7OVr7eWSex8

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Saw the video today! It’s a shame you could have put a 230ps GTI in the mix too to see the difference off the line and rolling.

Would also of been interesting to see a DSG Clubsport...
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here

Would also of been interesting to see a DSG Clubsport...

1/4 mile is all about the launch and down to the skill of the driver, the rolling race put the 245ps back in its place :grin: