Author Topic: Just noticed this on Facebook - true or scarmongering ?  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Just reading this on facebook. Is this true (as I'll need to fill up later this week), or a bit of scare mongering ?

"WARNING !!!! - Due to increase in temperatures in the coming days, please don't fill fuel tanks to the maximum volume. It may cause an explosion in the fuel tank. Please fill the tank no more than half full and allow space for air. This week, 5 explosion accidents have happened due to filling fuel tanks to the maximum. Don't just read this message and stop, let others and your family members who drive also know about it so they can avoid this mistake. Please DO SHARE THIS"

Supposedly this is fro the Motorway Police.

Surely this can't be right as people live in much warmer climates than us here in the UK and seem to do fine, and surely the vehicle manufacturers account for this in their design ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Just noticed this on Facebook - true or scarmongering ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2018, 08:43 »
LOL!  Well, put it this way - everyone here in Aus fills their car to the brim and I've never heard of an explosion yet.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2018, 08:45 »

Ooh...you rebels you Aussies.....always up for a bit of danger  ;D ;D

It's being shared like mad, but I've just noticed that the originator of the warning "Motorway Police", is based in Pakistan  :D :D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2018, 08:47 »
I always thought there's a vent in the fuel tank to allow for expansion.  Load of rollocks if you ask me.
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2018, 09:14 »
I always thought there's a vent in the fuel tank to allow for expansion.  Load of rollocks if you ask me.
also a hole in the cap 😉, but hey let’s not let the truth get in the way of a good story

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2018, 09:24 »
Yes of course in the modern litigatious world in which we live a manufacturer such as VW would make a car which could explode from a simple mistake and not have any technical solution or a warning in the manual....

If you believe that, please, I am a crown prince of Nigeria who would like to give you millions of dollars, just supply your bank details...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2018, 09:57 »
It’s a known hoax.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline John F

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2018, 10:01 »
Absolute loads of nonsense.

I ran a petrol 6 cylinder Landcruiser pickup in Venezuela for two years, temps often hit 40c.

I used to run the tank from full to empty many, many times per month driving to a from the mine I worked in.

The only danger was the local drivers and wildlife that wandered onto the road (crocodiles, anacondas, armadillos etc). And the vultures that feasted on the roadkill. I ended up with one of those embedded in my grill once, which will happen when you hit it doing over 100 km/h!

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2018, 11:58 »
Load of crap!  :grin:

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2018, 17:40 »
If there is a modicum of truth in this, am sure the BBC will be letting us know in the weather forecast......

There is no issue with this in aircraft fuel tanks so I can't see it being a problem in a car.