Author Topic: Rear Brakes  (Read 6809 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Rear Brakes
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2018, 22:50 »
Haven't got that Vernier yet, but visual comparison between front and back discs shows that the fronts are way thicker both sides of the venting than the rear. Also, the outer disc half between the venting on the rear was noticeably thinner than the inner disc edge.

Not sure whether they were like that from new (thickness comparisons), but the plating shroud around the discs all round was pretty rusty, and the rear discs were far rustier around the hub than the fronts (barely any rust on the front discs) I have no doubt that the front discs are of a far higher standard than the rears.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline gasco1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2018, 10:53 »
It's because the rear brakes are hard used. They are almost used just to steady/ balance the car under braking. You could try to re bed the brakes in lots of guides online. Could try checking the operation of the pistons in calipers. Would of thought vw would of spotted that if it was the case. Maybe you can put more rear bias via the cars ecu so you get a little more rear braking. Not to much though because if you lock the rear brakes you might find yourself pointing in the wrong direction.

Offline silver38

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2018, 20:15 »
I've got a GTD with sport and sound, the rear disc are rusty and scored. I'm going to replace with Brembo discs, the data sticker has  PR code 1KV these are 300mm. Is this the standard size for the GTD? Euro car parts have 45% off for the next 5 days.
Regards
MKVII GTD Manual - Pure White, 5Door, Adaptive chassis control, Advance telephone connection, Climate comfort windscreen, Discover Nav pro, High beam assist, Keyless entry, Sport and Sound pack, Park assist system with steering assist, Rear view camera, Rear side airbags with rear seatbelt warning, Winter pack, 5 Year Warranty

Offline Toon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2018, 15:12 »
I took delivery of my 7.5 Performance on 1st December. By the time I'd had it only 4 days both rear discs were scored (just like in your photos) and severe rubbing noise from pads when braking. Took it back to dealer and the Service Manager said "oh yeah, this is a known problem with these GTI PPs..... we get about 5 or 6 a year with this and we replace them under warranty - it's a factory quality control issue"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing............. if you're going to have a poor quality part fitted, make sure it's not the frikkin brakes eh??????

Anyway, I had them replaced under warranty the next week and all is well. Car has covered 11,000 miles in 4 months and the brakes are fine. I contacted VW UK to raise the issue and get them to "sort the factory out"..............no reply.

Dealer gave me some goodies to send me on my way but it seems this is a known issue. Front brakes are fine.
Mk 7.5 Performance | DSG | 19" Brescia | Atlantic Blue | 5 door

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2018, 16:28 »
Rear brakes get used more than you might think. The ESP is tapping away at them behind the scenes most of the time. One of my old Passats would get lots of brake dust on the rear wheels, even on 200 mile motorway journeys, which obviously have little direction change that you would expect to trigger ESP. On one occasion I drove from Kent to Shropshire with the ESP turned off. The result, rear wheels as clean as when I'd set off.

With regards to them being worn however, yes they will have worn, but are still perfectly operable. It's just another way of dealers trying to upsell.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2018, 23:21 »
Don’t think it can be just a PP or R problem. I was advised that the rear discs on my GTI were pitting and the pads were 70% worn - and this at 2 years and 18.5K miles. Again, I’m not hard on brakes and, anyway, why the rears? Definitely a problem here, but one which VW will insist is normal, no doubt.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2018, 04:03 »
does the cruise control use the rear brakes to keep the speed correct?
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline GM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 17 April 2018, 13:23 »
My rear discs are in a pretty shocking state - there are actually chunks of the outer face missing in a couple of places with deep rusty patches. Heavily scored across the rest of the face. Swapped my winter wheels over at the weekend and only realised then just how bad they were getting. It's booked in at my local VW dealer next week to have the rear brakes replaced. They have quoted £400, which is slightly eye-watering (but not that surprising). Car is standard GTI, just over 2 yrs old with 27k on the clock. I have contacted VW Customer Services, but don't expect to get anywhere. Don't think I have a hope with a warranty claim due it being brakes - they'll just say it's down to driving style etc. But it is a bit of a kicker having to replace the brakes on a 2 yr old car.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 17 April 2018, 13:49 »
I’m thinking this has a lot to do with the handbrake locking on when the brakes are wet, after a wet trip, or, more likely, after washing the car and leaving a while before driving. Sometimes I find the brake difficult to release and the noise, when it eventually does come off, is consistent with chunks of pad detaching. That sort of damage would cause fast pad wear and disc grooving. Never had a car as bad as the Mk7 for a sticking hand brake.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 17 April 2018, 16:02 »
does the cruise control use the rear brakes to keep the speed correct?

Yes, which is why it has limited maximum braking...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC