Author Topic: Rear Brakes  (Read 6746 times)

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
Rear Brakes
« on: 19 March 2018, 11:10 »
My local VW workshop claims the following disc scoring on the rears is 'normal'. Car is GTi PP 2017 with 5K miles. Strangely there is none on the front discs. Should I change the garage I use?

Nearside rear: https://flic.kr/p/FDH4bk
Offside rear: https://flic.kr/p/22y26zm
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Rear Brakes
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2018, 11:34 »
Had mine replaced last year, at approx ..... 26k miles and just under 1 year old (after they refused to cover under warranty once before at 20k service). This was last August, they look the same again now and I shall speak to them when it's due its next service.

It's normal but only if you have OEM VW parts, aftermarkets are mostly OK and don't show the same amount of scoring/rust.
Basically VW squeeze their supplier so hard that they get cheap sh!t.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2018, 12:01 »
Mine have been like that for four years, perfectly normal as they are hardy used especially with the PP due to the size of the front brake discs.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2018, 15:32 »
Mine have been like that for four years, perfectly normal as they are hardy used especially with the PP due to the size of the front brake discs.

Do you mean the scores in the surface or the fact they are rusty (pictures taken just after washing the car)?

I don't think I've ever owned a new car (probably a dozen or so in the past 20 years) that has got scores in its discs (front or rear) like these in barely 5K miles.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline dfsGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2018, 17:04 »
Unfortunately the rear discs seem to be as itavaltalainen said cheap sh!t. Had mine replaced on my GTD albeit not at 5K. Had given up on VW dealer at that point so got aftermarket and they seem to be bearing up a lot better as I've done more miles on them than I did on the originals.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2018, 19:04 »
Mine are 4 yrs old, 32k miles & it’s just passed its MOT with no issues

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2018, 19:05 »
Done 12k in my December 16 pp gti and the discs are exactly like the fronts. No scoring at all.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2018, 19:49 »
My R was in for warranty work 2 months ago and the dealer performed one of those "traffic light" advisory checks. They claim my rear discs are 70% worn after what was then 23k miles, and i'm light on the brakes as I preserve momentum rather than hurtle towards a roundabout and jam the anchors on. So I might have a chocolate clutch and pig-iron brake discs. Starting to think I bought a Fiat.

Fronts are reportedly hardly worn at all.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2018, 07:58 »
I've seen loads of reports of R's and GTI PP's having issues with premature wear of rear discs at low mileages / ages. Is this something to do with the rear disc being ventilated and corroding from within ?

I stand to be corrected, but I don't recall half as many issues with the solid rear discs on a standard GTI / GTD etc. ?

How can the rears be 70% worn when they do hardly any work at all, and with the fronts that do all the work hardy worn at all ? When they say worn, is that just a euphemism for "sorry sir, the rear brakes have corroded though but we won't tell you it's because the rear brakes are made from crap materials, we'd rather just tell you they are worn instead, so it looks like you caused the problem not us " ?   :evil: :evil:
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2018, 08:36 »
Sootchucker: Could be the cheapness/corrosion, or perhaps R/PP have a far greater bias towards using the rear discs than standard GTI/GTD?

It could also be VW's view on what point they're worn out does not match an independent - imagine being told that your new tyres with 7mm tread would be done in at 5.5mm tread. Would it be VW's view or the dealer trying to get more money from selling you a consumable item that doesn't need replacing yet? The amount of times i've had my R in for warranty work and the service team are insistent that I must get my aircon serviced (no thanks, don't need a recharge just yet, cooling is fine and it's not smelly). Might buy some cheap verniers from Lidl and check out my pad thicknesses - would be useful to compare them with new measurements.

If I do need new rear discs then an independent will get the job with better than OEM parts.

I wonder if Audi S3 owners also have crappy rear discs and chocolate clutches (i'm guessing yes).

The MK7.Golf has got to be the flimsiest, most cheaply made Golf after the MK3 rustbucket. Drives great  but I doubt many of these will last 15 years.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2018, 08:39 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.