Author Topic: Steaming up on "recirculate"  (Read 3329 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Steaming up on "recirculate"
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2018, 07:36 »
The only time I use recirculate (apart from when it does it automatically when reversing) is when the temperature is really hot in summer. It is more efficient to recirculate already cooled air, rather than drawing in warm air from outside only to have to cool that.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2018, 07:36 »
I never use recirculating mode in my car either; have the a/c on ‘Auto’ and leave it and forget about it.

Have you checked your car’s carpets to make sure they’re not damp?, which might indicate a faulty door/window seal. Damp coats/umbrellas inside a warm car at this time of year with the air con in recirculating mode would be creating the ideal conditions for the interior windows to mist up.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline andyb_123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2018, 11:56 »
"All your doing really is moving the existing air in the car which to be honest why would you do it."

I would do it when driving through a tunnel, where the air quickly becomes thick with diesel and fumes, or when following a car which is spewing out blue smoke.

It's also good when it's really hot to reduce the temperature more quickly.

These are all reasons why there is a recirculate feature in the car.

To repeat, this feature is on the Mk5 gti too. It never steamed up once when on auto and recirc was on in 10 years, and we use it a lot.

It's a brand new car - done 3k miles. I'll mention it during the first service.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2018, 21:01 »
How long is it recirculating for before it starts to fog up? My Mk5 would fog up eventually if it was in recirculation mode on longer journeys. I don't find the Mk7.5 much different really.
7.5 GTD

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2018, 22:38 »
Aircon on recirculate should normally stip the moisture out of the air, but below *I think* 5 DegC the aircon compressor is deactivated to protect itself.  This has always been the case on all cars.  This is why it won't condense moisture out of the air when its cold outside. 

Also, as said recirc is literally cycling the damp air round the car - moisture that can come from wet clothes, mats and also from your breath - you expel a lot of moisture all the time.

Its not surprising at all what you experienced to be honest. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate