Author Topic: Where do people get private plates made - non standard spacing?  (Read 5976 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Where do people get private plates made - non standard spacing?
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2018, 21:29 »
Worth remembering that the whole purpose of vehicle registration plates is so a vehicle can be easily identified by the authorities. Not so your car can be identified by your mates.

If you do anything to deliberately make your registration read differently to what it is supposed to read, and you make it more difficult for the authorities to identify you, you should know the authorities aren't going to be too pleased about that, and if you push your luck they will catch up with you eventually.

Whether they fool the ANPR system or not is besides the point, as we're not solely reliant on ANPR for vehicle recognition anyway. The human eye still plays sn important role. If it were all about raising revenue the easiest way to do that is to force everyone to buy your plates from the government like you do with your passport.
7.5 GTD

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2018, 09:06 »
I've got a mate with a garage that is licensed to make number plates. They are produced on a computer linked to whoever and printed onto a clear backing, so there is a record of what he has made. However, it is accepted that from time to time, mistakes might be made when typing in the reg number. Obviously these plates are supposed to be destroyed.

He made mine for me. All the correct font and spacings, but he forgot to put his name and postcode on them. Whoops.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2018, 09:27 »
There's this site https://www.craigsplates.com/ I have bought show plates from them for my MK1 GTI some years ago. Now older and perhaps a little bit wiser So stick with the legal configuration.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2018, 13:29 »
My son recently bought a private plate and I got him some show playes made up all ' legal ' apart from 1 set of spacing had double the space and tbh hea had no issues so far.
Unless you look and suppose measure it you can't tell
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2018, 13:42 »
I think as long as the plate is still clearly readable then you probably OK and just unlucky if you get stopped.

Had this on the wife's car for 12 months without issues. Local sign/graphics shop were able to supply for use as a sign..  :smiley:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2018, 14:39 »
You might have got away with it, but honestly, it just looks cheap and tacky.

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2018, 14:47 »
You might have got away with it, but honestly, it just looks cheap and tacky.

Interesting comment.  :wink:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2018, 15:12 »
It's my opinion of course.

I did a similar thing with a plate on my wifes car a few years ago. Her initials are JB (no middle name) so she had V7 OJB, spaced V70 JB. I got away with that too, but was never happy with it as it appeared to make me look like I was trying to present it as something it wasn't.

I sold that plate on a Volvo Forum and she now has our sons plate. He's only 13, so plenty of time to find her a proper one.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2018, 15:13 by dubber36 »

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2018, 19:59 »
Consensus is to have a proper set of plates in the boot in case you get caught so you pitifully claim you forgot to change them

I have to be honest I detest it when people changing the spacing and add the off black screw cover, only thing i detest more is when you want the clean look so have the plate stuck in your windscreen

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2018, 22:35 »
 I really can't understand many UK vehicle owners with their pre-occupation concerning vehicle number plates. They seem to believe that drivers following their cars are having a mobile orgasm, just because they have a plate that may, or may not vary from the norm.  My vehicle wears one, because the law says it must and I have to pay for that, but I'll be buggered if I'm going to give them any more than I have to. The make and model badges which came with the vehicle when it left the plant says far more about my car than any expensive number plate can.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.