Author Topic: MK7 changes  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
MK7 changes
« on: 16 January 2018, 11:47 »
most probably a ridiculous question BUT

1. Can you change the dash on 2016 MK7 GTD to the digital one
2. Can you upgrade the MIB unit to the larger screen

OR is it cheaper to buy a new car with these already installed  :grin:

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: MK7 changes
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2018, 12:01 »
Technically it will be possible, however this won't come cheap. You can expect it to cost at least £1k for the new head unit alone, plus the cost of the new digital instrument binnacle, plus labour.

By the time you've done all that you won't be far off the price of changing the car for one with them already fitted. A newer car would also have the swoopy rear lights that you crave.

I might be wrong, but i'm not sure if you can do job 1 without doing job 2.
7.5 GTD

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2018, 12:02 »
You answered your question more or less yourself.
Digital speedo would be a no even I'd guess. You could ask Alex Szaniawski (Alex Retrofit in Redditch) if he can do it, but don't think it can be done.

Larger screen can be fitted - IF you already have the MIB2 discover pro, generation 1 would need full replacement for $$$$.
Gen 2 will also need a full replacement if you want the pro nav features but for screen only you can fit the larger one relatively easily.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2018, 12:02 »
Technically it will be possible, however this won't come cheap. You can expect it to cost at least £1k for the new head unit alone, plus the cost of the new digital instrument binnacle, plus labour.

By the time you've done all that you won't be far off the price of changing the car for one with them already fitted. A newer car would also have the swoopy rear lights that you crave.

I might be wrong, but i'm not sure if you can do job 1 without doing job 2.

I had a sneaky feeling this would be the case but thought i would ask those in the know thanks Guzzle  :smiley:

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2018, 12:04 »
You answered your question more or less yourself.
Digital speedo would be a no even I'd guess. You could ask Alex Szaniawski (Alex Retrofit in Redditch) if he can do it, but don't think it can be done.

Larger screen can be fitted - IF you already have the MIB2 discover pro, generation 1 would need full replacement for $$$$.
Gen 2 will also need a full replacement if you want the pro nav features but for screen only you can fit the larger one relatively easily.

I dont have voice control - i have the button on the steering wheel

I believe i have the standard sat nav installed

bit of a bugger to do so will be happy with what i got  :rolleyes:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2018, 12:13 »
Put a typo in... if you have MIB2 standard nav you can fit the pro screen as it is the same resolution and this is plug and play (obviously all the trim etc will need to be changed) so it's only $$$ not $$$$ it would be for replacing it with pro nav.

For clarity, MIB1 has lower resolution on the standard nav, if you fit pro screen it just fills a portion of screen with a large black border around it.

You can tell which generation it is by screen size (details on VW map update page - http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/maps/int/en/index.html)

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2018, 12:14 »
Put a typo in... if you have MIB2 standard nav you can fit the pro screen as it is the same resolution and this is plug and play (obviously all the trim etc will need to be changed) so it's only $$$ not $$$$ it would be for replacing it with pro nav.

For clarity, MIB1 has lower resolution on the standard nav, if you fit pro screen it just fills a portion of screen with a large black border around it.

You can tell which generation it is by screen size (details on VW map update page - http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/maps/int/en/index.html)

Ive just got a wee one  :grin:

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2018, 12:58 »
Pretty sure someone has done the AID (digital screen) in a passat

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2018, 13:06 »
Pretty sure someone has done the AID (digital screen) in a passat

oooh this could be promising ......

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2018, 13:10 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11