Author Topic: Selling my 7.5  (Read 12654 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Selling my 7.5
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2018, 09:22 »
Top CAP price on this is £22,300 by my reckoning.

My suggestion would be to take it to a car buying company (not WBAC) and get that maybe plus a little bit more.

Sure, the forecourt is going to see this up for £27k but a 5k margin is about what a dealer wants to make on a nearly new car. Its nuts but its true.

When you drive a new vehicle away for the first time, you expect to loose the VAT on it immediately - on a 27k vehicle, that's £5400... so I think if you can get £22k you'd be about right.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2018, 10:24 »
The PX offer I had was not subject to buying a particular car as the car I went in to look at sold to someone else while I was on the test drive. :rolleyes:

I know I will be taking a hit and I have done the financials, but I have to move on and will either PX it against the replacement or pay the settlement and sell standalone, either privately or elsewhere.

The figures quoted so far are wrong, the real world is offering more.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2018, 12:00 »
I suggest you take it then.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2018, 12:59 »
You need a different car not just no car at all?

If you can find someone prepared to give you a PX price more than the max CAP figure I quoted, rip their arm off is what I say.

Of course the PX price and the price you pay for the new car are both variables. Often they will increase the PX price rather than decrease the sale price of the new vehicle because it makes a customer happier to imagine that their old car was worth more...easier to close the deal.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Little Lofty

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2018, 14:01 »
You do not automatically loose the vat on a new car, I've heard this loads of times and it simply is not true. I bought my new Golf R for £28600 and sold it to a trader 8 months later for £28500. I've bought a few other cars and sold after a year for around 10-12% loss. Supply and demand dictates car prices, vat doesn't come into it, loads of salesmen go on about the loss of vat, but it's just their way of justifying their profit margin.
OP, put your car on Tootle and try Sellcar, you'll get more than the likes of WBAC, just remember January generally isn't the best time to sell. To get top money you need to sell privately, but selling cars privately above £20k is tough and most buyers want them for less than trade price in my experience, total time wasters. Nearly all of mine have gone to traders, I never part-ex, I usually stick them on Autotrader and state on the ad that I'll consider sensible trade bids, nine times out of ten that what I get and that's where I end up selling them.
Alfa Four Cheese

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 January 2018, 14:03 »
OK in that case the PX price they gave you will most likely be in relation to the screen price on (any of their) their stock vehicles. Its very unlikely you will get a stonking discount of the screen price as well as way over book price for your existing car - its normally either one or the other.

In other words its not a straight purchase price for your car so the true deal is somewhat masked by the associated purchase you will be making.

In my experience I have got the best deal by selling the existing car on Autotrader and purchasing via broker (and three cars ago it was a dealer that bought it). But that might not be convenient for you I appreciate.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2018, 14:07 »
Out of interest EatonRifles, what are you looking to buy instead? (Just after we had the great OAP SUV debate the other day  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:)

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2018, 14:34 »
Looking at a 530d touring, around 3-4 years old.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 04 January 2018, 15:06 »
Thats a big old beast of a car.

At least its not a SUV!  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 04 January 2018, 15:14 »
Thats a big old beast of a car.

At least its not a SUV!  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

It does sound a little bit pipe and slippers :wink: :whistle: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.