Author Topic: ABF running rough  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Marb

• Not said much yet
ABF running rough
« on: 12 December 2017, 21:02 »
Hi, my mk3 16v has on a few occasions recently started to bog down while driving, it has done it on a handful of times in the last 1k miles, however last week as I was parking, it's started  to run rough, sounded  like when the timing was out on my mk2 16v , as in I think it was still firing on all 4,but sounded like crap.

I ran the codes which came back with coolant sensor, I have since changed, but cars still,running bad and having run a scan again it's coming up with no faults.

I've put new plugs in as they were due for a change, but it didn't help. I've had the distributer cap and rotor arm off and cleaned them up,  (previous owner says they were changed about 15k ago)!still,runs like crao.

Current symptoms are: starts ok, ticking sound from distributer initially, this then stops, car runs ok, but if I hit the gas it runs badly, Still running no fault codes, have had the new spark plugs out (10 mins running time) and all 4 are black with carbon, I'm guessing unburnt fuel, I forgot to mention- the car stinks of petrol !!

Any ideas what to replace next. I'm thinking coil or maybe lead from the coil to the distributer. Advise kindly received. Cheers , Marb

Offline Marb

• Not said much yet
Re: ABF running rough
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2017, 20:30 »
Update: It turned out to be an easy fix, new distributer cap and rotar arm did the job, they looked clean but there was some fresh pencil like marks in the cap after I had cleaned it so something wasn't right with it. Now I can get on with the list of jobs to do for January's MOT.