Author Topic: dreaded Intake manifold fault  (Read 12571 times)

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
dreaded Intake manifold fault
« on: 04 December 2017, 09:15 »
i know this has been covered before, but it's so common i cant seem to find my specific query in the search results

I have that same old issue with my intake manifold flap runner where the vacuum assembly can detach and cause a vacuum leak and misfire . i now also have the p2015 code which is all related. has anyone fixed this issue with a software swirl flap delete, or is this never going to go away without replacing the intake manifold?

also, is there supposed to be a small vacuum present when i stick my finger in the hole, or is that a sign of a leak? Green one in this pic i found online;
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28763&d=1360084746

Thanks

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: dreaded Intake manifold fault
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2017, 16:36 »
Check out this thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=255120.0

Dealers quoted in the thread are saying that there is no repair - need to replace the intake manifold. When this happened to mine, I was able to delete the fault code a few times before biting the bullet and ordering a new one from the states as they are much cheaper over there. To remove and replace the manifold is 2 hours labour.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2017, 08:03 »
cheers for the reply.
i took to stealers to attempt good will but they refused, not before a £72 diagnostics but worth the gamble i suppose. on the plus side they also diagnosed my parking sensor fault which i have now fixed for the price of a second hand buzzer :)

ordered a manifold from here;
https://shopdap.com/blog/intake-manifold-failure-on-2-0t-tsi-p2015.html/

£175 delivered (unless i get a tax bill) and my local ex-VW dealership mechanic buddy will fit for me for £50 an hour labor. way better than the £690 quoted by VW

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2017, 12:43 »
That is a good price. The parts retailer is reputable so should not have any problems with the part. A bit fiddly to fit with all the hoses and connectors. While the manifold is off you might want to check the state of the inlet valves. They tend to get coked up with carbon and can only be cleaned with the manifold off. No chemical cleaner additive can touch it. Hope all goes well.

Just checked chain stretch on my 2010 using VCDS and still within spec at 67k so happy at present.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2017, 12:48 by joe6 »
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline bankies

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2018, 15:18 »
My 2011 GTI mk6 has had the engine light going on and off for the last month with P2015 error codes.  :sad:

Before I order one from the states using the link above can anyone confirm that the extended 120k 10 year warranty available in the US is not available here?

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2018, 09:04 »
My 2011 GTI mk6 has had the engine light going on and off for the last month with P2015 error codes.  :sad:

Before I order one from the states using the link above can anyone confirm that the extended 120k 10 year warranty available in the US is not available here?

Mine went after 4 years and no help from VW. If you have bought the VW extended warranty then it can run to 120k/10 years if policy conditions are met. US customers enjoy a 5 year standard drive train warranty that is only the three years for UK customers.  :sick:
« Last Edit: 31 May 2018, 09:09 by joe6 »

Offline bankies

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2018, 13:04 »

Mine went after 4 years and no help from VW. If you have bought the VW extended warranty then it can run to 120k/10 years if policy conditions are met. US customers enjoy a 5 year standard drive train warranty that is only the three years for UK customers.  :sick:

Thanks what I expected. I did get a 2 years extended warranty when I bought the car but it ended last December. Was not too impressed with the warranty as it never seemed to cover anything that failed and tied you to dealer servicing.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2018, 23:13 »

Had mine covered for the past 8 years with the extended VW warranty. They sent a sorry letter saying they wouldn't cover it this year but suggested an alternative with a third party company. Milage (its very low) or service history(full history) wasn't the issue. I presumed from the wording of the letter it was because it was 8 years old now.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.