Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 30450 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
The cycling thread
« on: 04 February 2015, 08:28 »
I know this is a car forum, but I'm sure many of us like to cycle too. Whether it be road, trail, commuting or leisure. Rather than the chat taking over other peoples threads, I thought we ought to have our own place to discuss carbon and lycra.

I started riding again about a year ago, going out on the road on my mountain bike with skinny tyres. This soon got tiresome, so I bought a road bike. I didn't want to go mad, so bought a Giant Defy 2. 3000 miles later and I'm loving it. I was back in the shop yesterday looking for a 'best' bike for summer rides and sportives. I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Specialized Rouabix in a few weeks time. I don't want it just yet as I will be tempted to take it out on crappy roads, and I'm sure my wife won't let me keep it in the living room.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2015, 09:43 »
Nice one dubber.  Who doesn't like a bit of cycling  :wink:

As you know already, my cycling history is the other way round to yours.  Brought up on a diet of Yorkshire cycling as my dad used to race nearly every week (he still gets out on the bike every week aged 78).  Family camping holidays were arranged following the Tour de France around.  As a child was fortunate to see the great Eddy Merckx take the yellow jersey twice on the Champs Elysee.  In my youth I participated in time trialling (mainly 25 milers), and my hero was Bernard (The Badger) Hinault.  But now many years later I'm more into Golf GTi's.

But you never lose that love of the two wheels.  Current bikes (shared with partner) include carbon fibre Felt F2 road bike, Felt hybrid bike, my trusty Marin Palisades Trail mountain bike and a mid range Orbea road bike which is the workhorse permenantly shackled to a turbo trainer.  My partner has really got into cycling over the last few years which kinda rekindled my interest too, and he needs guidance on what's what  :laugh:  At the moment most of my cycling is weekend family leisure cycling, mountain bike trails etc but like to take it out for a blast to a nearby outdoor track every now and then.         
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2015, 10:01 »
Hallo everyone I'm new to cycling I've got 2 bikes. A 2012 carve comp and a specialized diverge. I say new I've been doing it for a couple of years and decided after my 3rd back op and being a stay at home pop it was time to get fit. Looking forward to hearing all the tips from you guys who know the ins and outs of this most enjoyable past time allez allez  :laugh:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2015, 10:40 »
Has anyone got any events lined up for this year? There are more and more been organised around my neck of the woods.

I did the Ludlow Tors 100K last year, so will do that again. I've also signed up for the Shropshire Hills Challenge in June which is another 100K and will probably have a go at the Welsh Raider in October. 
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2015, 11:12 »
Not as yet dubber early days but I'm sure I will be doing something this year watch this space.  :shocked:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2015, 12:00 »
No plans for any organised events, but never say never. 

In the last three years I was 'nearly' persuaded, by my cycling friend, to join her on the John o'Groats - Lands End cycle, and last year the London to Nice cycle, but recognising my fitness shortcomings for such underatakings, common sense kicked in and I declined.   

Tbh I'm still more attracted by shorter distances and improving speed rather than epic distances.   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

VW BUSH

« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2015, 19:48 »
I live right on the box hill Olympic course which was a good ride until the Olympics.
Now its stuffed with ipod posers riding three abreast :cry:
Going to get out in the warmer weather with my brother on our fausto's now I'm down to only a couple of migraines a week

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2015, 21:22 »
Has anyone got any events lined up for this year? There are more and more been organised around my neck of the woods.

I did the Ludlow Tors 100K last year, so will do that again. I've also signed up for the Shropshire Hills Challenge in June which is another 100K and will probably have a go at the Welsh Raider in October. 

Out of interest, what type of training are you doing, typical distance, duration etc.  Any interval training? How often do you manage to get out?

I live right on the box hill Olympic course which was a good ride until the Olympics.
Now its stuffed with ipod posers riding three abreast :cry:
Going to get out in the warmer weather with my brother on our fausto's now I'm down to only a couple of migraines a week

iPods whilst cycling.....Nooo!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2015, 19:26 »
I haven't got any particular training regime, I'm just going out when I get time. Twice a week if possible. The problem with this is I keep upping the distance and climbing without doing quick, short rides in between. I'll be able to do more of this when we get lighter nights as I'll be able to fit in a couple of brisk 15-20 miles after work.

Today I did a 72km ride with 800m of climbing. I really ought to go for a short spin tomorrow, but we"re having the in laws round. Perhaps a turbo would be a worthwhile purchase.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2015, 21:00 »
It sounds like you've got more of a regime going than you may think.  Some people hate interval training but I always loved it, short intense bursts, rest, then go again.  Change the intensity to suit your needs, fitness level etc.  Good for in between the longer steady miles and very beneficial in terms of endurance and strength.  Great prep for an event.

Turbo trainers are extremely worthwhile imo.  Very convenient when you haven't got much time, it's too dark and/or the weather's really crap.  Helps if you have a bike you can leave on it, then no faffing around taking rear wheel and spindle off (not that that's a great hardship), but less excuse not to use it.  In winter set up your good summer bike on it, using winter bike for outdoor runs, and vice versa in spring/summer, switch over and stick your winter bike on it.  We have mid range Tacx turbo, does the job.  There's some decent turbo training dvd's around, hill climb ones etc.  Helps you stay motivated and sometimes better than staring a the garage wall.  Preferable to watching a film, never been one for watching TV whilst exercising.

I'm out on the mountain bike tommorow, with the family, down to a local country park with an active trail.  They also have a 2 mile outdoor track and might take the F2 round the track a few times, if I can be bothered, though that's better saved for a solo visit, with no distractions.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual