Author Topic: DTUK CRD-T BOX -- GTD 240BHP??  (Read 69494 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: DTUK CRD-T BOX -- GTD 240BHP??
« Reply #120 on: 14 March 2016, 22:40 »
How does the GTI compare to the boxed GTD Stevie?

So far I've not taken the GTI up over 4000rpm however off the line the standard GTI feels more energetic whereas the boxed GTD feels better while rolling.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #121 on: 15 March 2016, 05:15 »
How does the GTI compare to the boxed GTD Stevie?

So far I've not taken the GTI up over 4000rpm however off the line the standard GTI feels more energetic whereas the boxed GTD feels better while rolling.
That sounds about right. The GTI is much faster revving and feels pretty eager but the DTUK GTD's torque and higher gearing should make it a beast once rolling.
The GTI definitely frees up a bit once you've done over 1000km in it.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #122 on: 25 May 2018, 13:32 »
Thanks for all your input guys, I have to say im sold :D me being rather blind and not seing the ea288 thread, I have now ;)

is the engine still responsive in sport mode, or does it suffer from major turbo lag?

I'd say the stock is slightly more laggy than with the DTUK box on, from a driveability point of view there are no downsides. The accelerator responds so well, imagine the response of stock in the first 2/3 of throttle pedal travel, and then having loads beyond it, all linearly delivered.

Can you point me in the direction of this thread Monkeyhanger - looking to get one of these and want to make sure its the right decision

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #123 on: 25 May 2018, 14:20 »
Just need to be careful with judder under acceleration on the gtds. Some owners suffered with it (I did) and returned the box as couldn't get fixed. Dtuk dodged all liability and blamed the car and then didn't fully refund even though it was within 7 days. You may be fine as many owners are but just be aware.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #124 on: 25 May 2018, 14:29 »
Just need to be careful with judder under acceleration on the gtds. Some owners suffered with it (I did) and returned the box as couldn't get fixed. Dtuk dodged all liability and blamed the car and then didn't fully refund even though it was within 7 days. You may be fine as many owners are but just be aware.

This is what i have been reading about and there have been a few posts about it - hence my reluctance maybe just wait til its out of warranty and get an ECU Remap done instead thanks

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #125 on: 27 September 2018, 16:27 »

This is what i have been reading about and there have been a few posts about it - hence my reluctance maybe just wait til its out of warranty and get an ECU Remap done instead thanks

Jeni,

if the car is driven like a fanny or if the box is set too high ( when customers ignore our advice or the instruction manual) then you can get the car to judder in stock form, we've sold over 1500 kits onto the 2.0 184ps in the last 3 years alone, in that time the manufacturers have changed the software on the ECU's several times and we have done so to suit this..

with an extra 100nm in the lower Rpm, driving the car in 6th gear (assuming its a manual) at 30mph isn't the best way of driving the car..

FROM MONKEYHANGER -GOLFGTIFORUM.CO.UK

22nd Mar 14 OK, here it is, done about 40 miles in it since fitment, this is the dual channel CRDT box (rated 235PS) Firstly, my car has been running a bit sh!tty in the 50 miles pre-box. Smack in the middle of a spell of DPF regenning, last night I had to give my cousin a jump-start when he flattened his battery in Newcastle City Centre last night and called me up, in prime pub-kicking out time. Spent 20 mins crawling around the 1/2 mile of road surrounding the Central train station, which made things worse and then 10 mins of 2000 rpm idling while he tried to get his sh!tty Citroen people carrier to splutter into life. After a short spell at the Metrocentre this morning, I headed out to DTUK when Andrew confirmed he could meet me (and save me waiting for the postie on Tuesday). After getting there, Andrew fitted the box off his Skoda onto mine to see how it runs (set at 4+1, Andrews recommended top setting). The industrial estate consists of a 3/4 mile long road, and it was empty, so I did a quick spurt to 80mph and back down to sensible levels. Huge difference. Did same on the way back. Andrew then put the software onto the new box and fitted it to my car. Repeated the blast along the industrial estate, my box seemed a tiny bit better, or maybe I was just more confident in it’s use. Came back, then had a chat with Andrew about TDIs we’ve had in the past etc (for about an hour!!!) Firstly, I would say that I prefer this box to the TDI-tuning box I trialledthey are 2 very different animals. The TDI-tuning box is raw and savage, some people might prefer that, but for me a sudden surge of power that causes wheelspin at 60mph in 3rd when you put your foot down is a bit of a widow-maker. At times with that box on setting 7, I felt I could quite easily James Dean the car. The CRDT has a much smoother and linear development of poweras smooth as the GTD’s stock power range, but just more of it. Unlike my experiences with the TDI-tuning box, the idling was as smooth as stockI experienced lumpy idling with the TDI-tuning box, but Buddy hadn’t noticed on his. When we took my dad’s TDI-tuning box off his MK5 GT 170 to trade in for his DSG GTD, his idling became smoother. The car ran at the hot end of the spectrum for the 40 miles (24 miles home and 16 miles going to pick the missus up from work) I drove around on after fitting the box (minimum 95C, but staying at 102C for a good 10 mins, and then being happy to be sat around 97-98C for most of the time). I wasn’t sure whether the running hot was down to me booting it a bit, or whether it was a continuation of the DPF regen that had been going on. I do think my stock GTD was running on the cold side, as if this was the main cause of my slightly poor mpg and frequent DPF regen. A few days will tell if the boxed GTD has a preference for running at 95-97C, as my Scirocco did, if so, I might see my mpg and regen interval improve on that score alone. The car feels complete now, like it was meant to be. At stock i’m feeling it is no faster than my Scirocco 170TDI. Got onto the A19 at Killingworth, up a long and steep sliproad from the road below. Me and a Civic Type R got on the 2 lane sliproad at the same time and I annihilated the R. It was trying very hard, but not even close. Those things have no torque so maybe a standard GTD would outdo them up a hill (just). Got home and 90 mins later I went to pick up the missus from work (overtime). On my rolling start run onto the coast road, for which I have measured previous cars performance against by the speed at which I pass a sign, I managed 88mph (it was quiet and I took it straight back down to 75 ), compared to 81mph average on my GTD and 83mph average on my Scirocco. The other thing that seems to have improved my drive is pull away from a standstill. The worst thing about the auto handbrake is that I always pull away ultra cautiously until after the autohold has fully let goit feels like if you give it some for a quick getaway then you’ll stall (it probably won’t but it feels that way). My car doesn’t feel like that any more, the car feels like it’ll easily overcome the bite of the autohold for a better getaway. You’ve got to have a bit of restraint in 2ndseems the easiest point of an acceleration move to wheelspin if you’re not careful. Over the moon with the box, and on the assumption that I won’t get any more regens than I get already (time will tell), i’ll have no regrets at all. I reset my MFD “since start” mpg reading when I left DTUK. It had been an abysmal 41mpg due to all the regenning which followed the previous night’s events. By the time I got home (24 miles later), it was up to 55mpg. I suspect that like the TDI-tuning.co.uk box, the indicated mpg will be somewhere in the region of 15% optimistic at the higher settings, making an actual 47mpg far more likely (about what I would have expected from stock with as much hooning around as I did from a hot start). I will keep you updated with actual mpg/regen info. In fact I might top the car back up tomorrow just so we can see a “whole tank” mpg that isn’t biased by the sh!tty run I had between filling up and fitting the box. Update from Matt… Aye I must admit that the box has brought out the boy racer in me at times, and greater enjoyment every time I use the car. I haven’t enjoyed a car so much since I had use of my boss’s Ford Granada Scorpio Cosworth for 2 weeks as a 19 year old when he went on holiday! When the car has this much go, you forget about chasing the mpg so much (not that I am any worse off with the box on) and just learn to enjoy the extra performance with very little fuel penalty. GTD mpg and GTI exceeding performancethe best of both worlds. The right box has made such a difference. Not only loads more power and torque, but usable torque and power, with a natural feeling of progressive delivery. I’ve got to get my car booked in to the dealership for a door realignment (the rubbers between the front and back passenger doors slightly rub when the front door is opened)going back to stock for a day or 2 is going to be hard!

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/testimonials/monkeyhanger-golfgtiforum-co-uk/
« Last Edit: 27 September 2018, 16:42 by Andrew@DTUK »
Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

PM me for the discount code

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #126 on: 27 September 2018, 16:37 »
one of the most recent customer supplied dyno sheets using the 3 Channel CRD3+  :whistle:

« Last Edit: 27 September 2018, 16:39 by Andrew@DTUK »
Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #127 on: 27 September 2018, 23:19 »
Neither of the things you mentioned were happening on my car, it wasn't driven like a fanny and the settings weren't even moved from your stock settings! It also wasn't driven at 30mph in 6th either. It's a generic box that doesn't always suit every car but blaming customers is a cracking level of customer support so well done.

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #128 on: 28 September 2018, 16:20 »
Neither of the things you mentioned were happening on my car, it wasn't driven like a fanny and the settings weren't even moved from your stock settings! It also wasn't driven at 30mph in 6th either. It's a generic box that doesn't always suit every car but blaming customers is a cracking level of customer support so well done.

To be honest customers can be/ and are to blame for a lot of issues, as some simply don't listen to our advice and then end up slagging us off online, but there again we do live in the age of the "keyboard warrior"

18 months ago we started adding stickers on the front of a module and a warning on the front of the instructions asking customers to contact us before they start and play with the settings, id say at least 70% of customers actually do email us and its saved a lot of issues. But the 30% seam to miss both of these things and then wonder why they're having problems.

5 years on from the 2.0 GTD 184PS being launched and were still  tuning as many as we were back in 2013, so we must be doing something right :)
« Last Edit: 28 September 2018, 16:27 by Andrew@DTUK »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #129 on: 28 September 2018, 17:55 »
I've actually made a point of not saying anything untoward just advising caution to others. I'm sure the majority of owners are perfectly happy but unfortunately I wasn't and my car for some reason or another just didn't like the addition of a box no matter what setting it was on or how it was driven. So with your 14 day returns policy I thought everything would be simple for a full refund but instead you kept a restocking fee and said if you ever come back for another box I'll give you the fee off the price! That's where my problem is as it's not really a 14 day return policy is it?