Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2777169 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7980 on: 18 January 2018, 09:33 »
I don't understand why you'd want to turn AC off?

Climate control is a wonderful thing, apart from anything else, it keeps the windows clear most of the time.

Agreed. Much better all round to leave aircon running all year round, be it auto or customised. Much healthier for the whole system. All those who regularly post up issues with aircon and misting etc are those that don’t run it all year round.  Not a coincidence.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7981 on: 18 January 2018, 10:38 »

Climate control is a wonderful thing, apart from anything else, it keeps the windows clear most of the time.

Agreed. Much better all round to leave aircon running all year round, be it auto or customised. Much healthier for the whole system. All those who regularly post up issues with aircon and misting etc are those that don’t run it all year round.  Not a coincidence.

+1. Air con isn’t just for cooling the interior of the car during warmer summer months. It also dehumidifies the air in the car, so helps prevent misting up during the cooler months. I’ve always run mine 24/7; and I don’t experience the misting up issues some others have.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #7982 on: 18 January 2018, 10:45 »

purely because i felt running the AC used more fuel - perhaps i am wrong ?

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7983 on: 18 January 2018, 10:55 »
Do a test with or without. It makes virtually no difference to fuel consumption. Having to pay an extra penny per litre for fuel would cost you more over a tank full of fuel than using the air con. That's something we all do without giving it much thought.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline MattCupra

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7984 on: 18 January 2018, 10:58 »
Does the 7.5 have the info screen that shows how much fuel each of the cars systems is using, like it does on the 7 ?? 

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7985 on: 18 January 2018, 11:03 »
As said the cost of running aircon all year is negligible.  As mentioned above, if you go into your CAR menu, one of the scroll screens shows just what each system is using if you need to know. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #7986 on: 18 January 2018, 11:21 »
As said the cost of running aircon all year is negligible.  As mentioned above, if you go into your CAR menu, one of the scroll screens shows just what each system is using if you need to know.

Ok Ok i am converted i shall run with it - i just need to work out the coding to turn that off after so many minutes VWJAP any ideas :)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7987 on: 18 January 2018, 11:34 »
Does the 7.5 have the info screen that shows how much fuel each of the cars systems is using, like it does on the 7 ??

Some things, its labelled "convenience consumers" and it gives a figure for gallons per hour.

I can't remember if AC is one of them, certainly heated screen,  heated mirrors and heated seats appear on there.

But yes, of course AC does consume fuel, it can't appear from nowhere, that's basic physics but having climate control and the windows shut of course reduces the amount it consumes.

It will use more energy cooling or heating to a temperature than keeping it there.

Seriously Jeni, its the least of your problems and avoids other more expensive problems (like moisture build up in the car or needing your aircon cleaning out due to non-use)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #7988 on: 18 January 2018, 11:42 »
Also don't forget in the HVAC menu, you can set the intensity (how much the AC compressor runs) from Eco, Normal or Intensive, if you do what to throttle it back a bit.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7989 on: 18 January 2018, 12:03 »

Ok Ok i am converted i shall run with it - i just need to work out the coding to turn that off after so many minutes VWJAP any ideas :)

Coding to turn the aircon off?  Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you, but most of us here are suggesting you don’t turn it off, but run aircon all the time for all the reasons given.  Or are you talking about turning something else off?
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual