Author Topic: *****Boot Lock Issue****  (Read 8577 times)

Offline wolfsburgsfinest

• Not said much yet
  • Fortune Favours the Brave
*****Boot Lock Issue****
« on: 14 June 2012, 23:27 »
Hi,

I have recently bought a late spec (J reg)  mk2 golf with central locking. However the boot lock has been playing up.

I was thinking of replacing the lock with standard one and just using a separate key for the boot lock and disconnecting the central locking for the boot completely.

Is this a difficult job? The key I have does not fit in the current boot lock, will this be a potential problem to remove the current boot lock.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Offline Jamtarts

• GTI forum regular
Re: *****Boot Lock Issue****
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2012, 10:43 »
Hi,

I have recently bought a late spec (J reg)  mk2 golf with central locking. However the boot lock has been playing up.

I was thinking of replacing the lock with standard one and just using a separate key for the boot lock and disconnecting the central locking for the boot completely.

Is this a difficult job? The key I have does not fit in the current boot lock, will this be a potential problem to remove the current boot lock.

Any help would be really appreciated.

I managed it in about an hour and I didn't know what I was doing, I had the haynes manual and the haynes restoration manual and got the info from them, I just removed the central locking part completley and added the new manual lock, I was a wee bit awkward but I managed it ok,

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2012, 10:48 »
Try fixing it 1st....

The most common problem is the long bar that attaches to the pump and the back of the lock barrel seizes up with age, take it off clean it up with some wd40 and sandpaper - re-grease it and it should do another 20 years....

HTH

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline nbennetta

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2012, 13:17 »
Sorry to tag onto this, I have an issue with the boot lock, the pump all seems to work, the lock works manually but there is a white plastic slider on the actuator arm, I think this should be moved into the correct place for the metal piece on the back of the lock to open the catch. Turning the key one way, the lock should work on central locking, turn to the middle and the lock should be open, turn to the other side and the boot cannot be operated with the central locking. I think the actuator arm is supposed to move the white plastic into the correct position for the central locking to allow the push button to operate the catch, my issue is the white plastic piece does not move with the actuator arm, the arm slides through the middle of the white plastic piece and it then just stays in the position, I can see a notch on the actuator arm, but am not sure if the white plastic should fix one side of this notch or the other? are there spring clips to hold it in place? does anybody have a working boot lid, could take a photo of it so I could see where the white plastic is located? Cheers.

Offline John Polley

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2015, 18:30 »
I have exactly the same problem.  Did anyone come up with a rely?

Offline rossbarry1

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2017, 11:09 »
Any replies for this?